* [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-02  1:05 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2003-01-02  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I recall a service like dossrv for Linux ext2fs system but
could not locate it in source tree?

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-02  1:25 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-02  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I recall a service like dossrv for Linux ext2fs system but
> could not locate it in source tree?

There was one written by someone in France
more than a few years ago.  I'm not sure how well it ever
worked.  I used it for the third edition release
installer but had to fix a bug in the ext2 directory
entry parser.  Ext2srv was old even then.  I can only
assume that the ext2 format had changed since the
program was written.  That scared me enough that
I changed ext2srv to open the disk in read-only mode
(it was only used to read the install's .9gz archive).

It has never been in /sys/src, though in the third
edition it was in /sys/lib/pcdist/cmd, with all the
other install-specific programs.  I didn't bother
updating to speak 9P2000 (fourth edition), so now not
even the installer uses it.

This comes up about once a year.
If someone wanted to do the work of keeping
it up to date, I get the impression that there are
a few people on the list who would find it useful.

Then again, ext3 will be all the rage soon enough.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-02  1:33 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2003-01-02  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Somone at  univ-paris8.fr wrote it based on tarfs,
and I think it was only ever ported for the 2nd release of Plan9.

I have a copy of that old code on a CD somwhere but it
perhaps somone has a unpdated version ?

-Steve

From: Richard Miller @ 2003-01-02 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I fixed some bugs in ext2srv and updated it for 9P2000 -- this was announced
in comp.os.plan9 on 13 May 2002.  I've been using it (for reading and writing)
ever since, though of course I offer no guarantee of its correctness.

I did offer the update to the Labs, but it was rather curtly rejected by Rob.

Anyone who wants a copy is welcome to email me.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-02 11:52     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2003-01-02 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:44:44AM +0000, Richard Miller wrote:

> I did offer the update to the Labs, but it was rather curtly rejected by Rob.

Hm...

> Anyone who wants a copy is welcome to email me.

I'd prefer to download it from Nemo's web site, given that sources
seems out of bounds.  If that won't do, I'm still interested.

++L

* Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-03  1:04   ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2003-01-03  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox writes:

 > Then again, ext3 will be all the rage soon enough.

Hmm I think that it is backwards compatible with ext2, so supporting ext2 would
work for a long time...
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-03  9:22     ` Robin KAY
From: Robin KAY @ 2003-01-03  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

paurea@gsyc.escet.urjc.es wrote:

> Russ Cox writes:
> > Then again, ext3 will be all the rage soon enough.
>
> Hmm I think that it is backwards compatible with ext2, so supporting ext2 would
> work for a long time...

AFAIK, ext3 is just ext2 with a journaling extension.

--
Wishing you good fortune,
--Robin Kay-- (komadori)

* Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-02 12:52 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2003-01-02 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:38:02PM +0100, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> I don't think I have it in our web server.
> Its author could just drop a line with the url where to get it.
> If it cant be done that way, I don't mind linking it at our web site.

Oops, I keep tripping myself by trying to be concise.  I meant that
I would like you to add the code to your collection of downloadable
Plan 9 contributions.

> But it would be much better IMHO to get it integrated with the distribution.
> If Rob or anyone else had objections, I think it would be better to address
> them and then perhaps get the thing integrated. Just a suggestion.

I couldn't agree more.  Richard's statement suggests that Bell Labs
are not (were not, at the time) prepared to negotiate.

++L

PS: It seems to me that often it is a matter of support that inhibits
the addition of applications to the Plan 9 distribution.  I don't
have a ready solution to the problem, but perhaps identifying the
cause will go a little way towards solving it.

* Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
@ 2003-01-02 12:38 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-01-02 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't think I have it in our web server.
Its author could just drop a line with the url where to get it.
If it cant be done that way, I don't mind linking it at our web site.

But it would be much better IMHO to get it integrated with the distribution.
If Rob or anyone else had objections, I think it would be better to address
them and then perhaps get the thing integrated. Just a suggestion.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2187 bytes --]

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ex2fssrv??
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:52:53 +0200