From: "matt" <matt@proweb.co.uk>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Can I use mail to check outside accounts ?
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:50:59 +0100	[thread overview]

Upas will mount remote mail boxes in your fs

It uses factotum to store your passwords.

It works for pop3 and imap (and maybe others, the man pages tell you more).

The mail is then mounted like local mail (as you would expect)

The downsides :
When I tried it I could only get one password per service per domain stored
in factotum which made mounting multiple mailboxes on the same domain
difficult. (This may have been a shortcoming in my approach rather than
factotum, I'm no expert on it).

It's slow. Not inherently the fault of the upas approach I don't think but
when I mounted my imap account accross the 100BaseT LAN I had to wait for an
age for all the mail to get mounted so I could check for new messages. Imap
isn't speedy at the best of times but the upas solution made it impossible
to use.

I have a script that mounts remote boxes and downloads then injects it into
the local mail system (modelled on Eric Raymond's fetchmail approach) .
http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt/mailcollector.rc

but be warned. It's not perfect. and I've not exercised it much since it was
written.

(my installation is borked. my font files got corrupted and I cant read the
text when I log in. I'm waiting for a symbios scsi card so i cant get a
proper 3 pc system up)

matt

---