* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24 10:13 Jean Mehat
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jean Mehat @ 2001-01-24 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the theory/practice in france is that the idiots hold on to
> their 'jobs' by keeping what lttle they know to themselves.

overgeneralizing.

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24 14:22 ` Lucio De Re
       [not found] ` <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr>
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-01-24 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:13:04AM +0100, Jean Mehat wrote:

> > the theory/practice in france is that the idiots hold on to
> > their 'jobs' by keeping what lttle they know to themselves.
>
> overgeneralizing.

All generalisations are over the top.

++L

* Re: [9fans] patch
       [not found] ` <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr>
@ 2001-01-24 16:57   ` Tom Duff
From: Tom Duff @ 2001-01-24 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Jan 24, 11:13am, Jean Mehat wrote:
> Subject: Re: [9fans] patch
> > the theory/practice in france is that the idiots hold on to
> > their 'jobs' by keeping what lttle they know to themselves.
>
> overgeneralizing.

In fact, undergeneralizing, which is just as bad.
The same theory/practice is universal.

* Re: [9fans] patch
       [not found] ` <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr>
@ 2001-01-24 20:10 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > the theory/practice in france is that the idiots hold on to
> > their 'jobs' by keeping what lttle they know to themselves.
>
> overgeneralizing.

well of course it was.  but it is a clear trend.

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-25 20:51   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-25 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Chris Locke @ 2001-01-25 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

overt
over confident

and thankfully
over there!

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24 20:13 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> When reading boyd's scatter bombs the prefix 'over' often comes to mind:

nice post [no sarcasm or malice intended].

hit quite a few nails on the head.

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24 17:10   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-01-24 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <005a01c085e0$f7fe98c0$0ab9c6d4@cybercable.fr> you write:
>> I hope you would not be such stupid redneck. ^_^
>
>i'm not a redneck.  i'm a veritable terror.

No, dude, you're a redneck....

>why else would rob have named my style thus?

I don't know, because you're a redneck?

	- Dan C.

(I mean that in the nicest of ways, of course.  :-)

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24 14:02 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-01-24 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Jean Mehat <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr>
	> the theory/practice in france is that the idiots hold on to
	> their 'jobs' by keeping what lttle they know to themselves.

	overgeneralizing.

When reading boyd's scatter bombs the prefix 'over' often comes to mind:

	overactive
	overbearing
	overblown
	overburdened
	overdose
	overexposure
	overextend
	overheated
	overindulgence
	overkill
	overmuch
	overproduction
	overstatement
	oversupply
	overuse
	overwhelming
	overworked
	overwrought

	over the top

I'd put a smiley thing here if I thought it's help...

--jim

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24 10:11 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-24 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I hope you would not be such stupid redneck. ^_^
>
>i'm not a redneck.  i'm a veritable terror.

If you'd not be such redneck, you can say it to that very person, not to
this public mailing-list.  When you do such here, I think you are not
different from such redneck.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24  8:41 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Actually, I had heard similar story at NASA meeting in Houston.  When I
> was enjoying conversation with someone comming from India, he has
> once been in Japan, an oldman disturbed us, and said to the Indian "Don't
> talk with him, he will steel from you!".

the theory/practice in france is that the idiots hold on to
their 'jobs' by keeping what lttle they know to themselves.

not exactly the 'scientific method' and a real bugger to
work in those conditions.

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24  8:38 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-24  8:34 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-24  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Actually, I had heard similar story at NASA meeting in Houston.  When I
was enjoying conversation with someone comming from India, he has
once been in Japan, an oldman disturbed us, and said to the Indian "Don't
talk with him, he will steel from you!".  I was much frustrated by his words.
What relation must be there me and someone Japanese who might have
done something wrong to him?  I hate such an attitude of such redneck!

I hope you would not be such stupid redneck. ^_^

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2711 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@planete.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:32:39 +0100

> I'm pretty much sure that you'd never learned 'doing boyd' from that
> experience.  :-)

well, i did a 'small' one when i was first in japan.  a major
kernel bug, but trivial really.  sVr2:

    can i have a copy of the code?

    err, yeah, but you won't modify it?

    no, no, just to look at it.

of course i'd modified it, to fix a fragmentation in the stupid
swap management code.  one sheet of paper -- it had fragmentation
written all over it.

heads were on guillotines and i'd told to go and not come
back till it was fixed, so i fixed it, violating japanese
meeting protocol.

they were happy, but i was instructed to never to do it again.

hara kiri city :-)

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24  7:40   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hara kiri city

hara = stomach

kiri = the stem of the verb to cut [kirimasu]

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24  7:32 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-24  7:11 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-24  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-24  4:15 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've heard you have Plan 9 in your hand, then, you can use ktrans, because
> I suppose you have knowledge of Japanese.  ^_^

i got plan 9 onto 'coma' last night, thanks to russ.

i studied japanese for 5 years and i worked for NEC
for 3 years, so i know tokyo and kobe.  i had a 'keep
bottle' at my favourite 'snack' in kobe 'tetsu no uma'.

the bottle, was, of course, JD.

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24  4:08 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-24  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-24  3:51 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It's better to write as:
>
> どう致しまして

sure, but i can't.

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24  3:45 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-24  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Anyway, thanks boyd for your 'doing Boyd' ^_^
>
>douitashimashite...

It's better to write as:

どう致しまして

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] patch
@ 2001-01-24  3:38 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-24  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-24  3:33 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-01-24  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>9 minutes and 58 seconds,

It was 30 minutes to me, because I wondered whether I should avoid to use
pcc or not.  Then, I saved my time by pcc.  :-)

@ 2001-01-24  2:07 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-01-24  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	> Does anybody have gnu patch for Plan 9?