From: Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] too good to pass up (SRB Comments)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:35:11 +0100	[thread overview]

geoff@collyer.net said:

> 	The shell was the last program ported to the Interdata during
> 	the original UNIX port, due to the difficulty of getting the
> 	details of restarting faulting instructions just right, which
> 	is why the Seventh Edition (also known as ``V7'') distribution
> 	tape includes /bin/osh, the Sixth Edition shell.

The Wollongong University version of the Bourne shell on the Interdata
contains this comment:

	/***
	 *** Don't rely on hardware to recover from address errors!
	 ***/

I took the easy way out and rewrote the allocator to make sure it
extended the address space before the memory was used, rather than
relying on recoverable address faults.  Much more portable.

-- Richard