* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up (SRB Comments)
@ 2006-04-28 13:30 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-28 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it was not cleaned up in the xinu bsd source.  iirc, on a vax,
it would coredump fairly reliably.  i spent some time trying
to figure out what the malfunction was, but never could.

i blamed nfs, since it was the convient thing to do, and
started using byron's rc.

the coding style was never a significant problem.  if it were,
i could have easily written a script to replace the odd #defines.

- erik

On Fri Apr 28 08:12:19 CDT 2006, brantley@coraid.com wrote:
> That was really John Mashy's fault, as I understand it.  He suggested
> it to SRB.  I had to deal with it when I ported V7 to the 68K.  Too
> bad every processor wasn't as clean in this reguard as the PDP-11.
>
> For those who might not have heard of this, SRB caught segfault
> signals, allocated more memory and just returned.  The instruction
> that caused the segfault would restart.  It was an automatic memory
> allocator.  Problem was that not all processors could pull off this
> sort of stunt.
>
> Geoff cleaned this up years ago.
>
> > not even his allocator?
> >
> > - erik

> >> I kind of liked it after the initial shock.
> >> Even inspired the Obfuscated C Contest.
> >> I don't think SRB's code was obfuscated, though.

* Re: [9fans] too good to pass up
@ 2006-04-28 13:01 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-28 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans