From: "Ezequiel Reyes" <ezequiel.reyes@newhotel.co.cu>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] problems booting a new install
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:38:15 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi,

> where you download your CD image?

> are you speaking about the vesa one provided in 9grid.de?

Yes, it is the vesa image, sadly, the standard would not work with my nvidia
GeForce4 and I couldn't find any info on the archives or the net of any one
being able to make it work with plan 9 or modify an entry in the vgadb to
make it work. All I got was a black screen.

What kind of installation you done? (kfs or fossil or fossil+venti)

fossil, during instalation I was given [fossil, fossil+venti] with fossil as
default, there was no kfs option, I understand it is an old format of
filesystem, but I did notice both, the demo system and the install system on
the CD used kfs when starting.

Do you see any error during install process?

no errors, all steps went fine, the only step that would fail was the last
one, the  boot setup process, since it offered floppy or plan9, I could not
select the later since I have a dual booting system, the floppy failed
trying to find the floppy need files on sdD1, which I don't have, it didn't
give me any choise to change the path to sdC1 which is my CD drive, that's
is what I had been doing to get there, changing the path from sdD1 to sdC1
every time it happened. So I gave it a ctrl-d and next came finish. I
thought I would later be able to find and edit if needed the plan9.ini using
the demo system on the CD and with some advice so I did. There was a
plan9.ini on 9fat but it was empty.

Where is the advice of the plan9.ini file edition ?

thread -> Re: [9fans] accesing a local fossil

Normally plan9.ini is generated automatically and works well, and normally
you should done a fossil installation.

as I said, I did, there were no error on install, but later. I found the
plan9.ini was empy (perhaps it would have been filled in the bootsetup step
of the instalation that I could not perform?)