* Fw: [9fans] Any way to install plan 9 with "Intel810 Video Acclerator"
@ 2001-01-12 16:58 matt heath
From: matt heath @ 2001-01-12 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Good luck.  I note that the until recently, XFree86 required a special
> > compilation module to support this particular Intel chip.

 and it's implementation is poor there

 I just had 4 months of the damn chip (they are in the packard bell
everything on the mb machines - I know, not my choice)

sound card too and even though the Linux driver sorted the soundcard it
couldn't understand the PCI bridge  so failed miserably.

steer well clear of integrated peripherals if you want OS flexibilty

Matt

* Re: [9fans] Any way to install plan 9 with "Intel810 Video Acclerator"
@ 2001-01-12 17:16 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-12 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> steer well clear of integrated peripherals if you want OS flexibilty

steer well clear of USB peripherals if you wanna install
plan 9 from a USB floppy.  steer well clear anyway.  the
other night '98 told me it'd found another _processor_
when i plugged in my kodak cd burner -- yeah, right.

not just once either.

btw: i have a sony vaio with no internal peripherals
     except for the disk.  i like it being 22.2mm thick.

* Re: Fw: [9fans] Any way to install plan 9 with "Intel810 Video
@ 2001-01-15 10:01 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-01-15 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

matt heath wrote:
> steer well clear of integrated peripherals if you want OS flexibilty

Usually the BIOS allows one to disable the on-board video
and sound functions, so you can plug in suitable cards.

* Re: Fw: [9fans] Any way to install plan 9 with "Intel810 Video
@ 2001-01-16  9:43   ` Bob Solomon
From: Bob Solomon @ 2001-01-16  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> matt heath wrote:
> > steer well clear of integrated peripherals if you want OS flexibilty
>
> Usually the BIOS allows one to disable the on-board video
> and sound functions, so you can plug in suitable cards.

not always.  My plan9 install is on a box with what they now
call a legacy style parent board; no on board video or sound
modem or NIC.  Easiest OS install I've done in a couple of
years.