* Re: [9fans] unique MAC address allocation?
@ 2005-03-31  6:53 boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-03-31  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> as DECnet had such a small addres space (16 bits? 8
> net, 12 host) there was 'hidden area' on net 62.

arg, that should read 6 net, 10 host.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] unique MAC address allocation?
@ 2005-03-31 15:00           ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-03-31 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> > You had an area number that was 6 bits, and a 10 bit node
>> > number.  Then you appended this to AA:00:04:00 to get the MAC address.

on reflection this sounds more accurate.  seems that had taken
out several blocks of vendor-ids and used AA:00:04:00 to say
'mangled address, includes DECnet'.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] unique MAC address allocation?
@ 2005-03-31 14:54         ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2005-03-31 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:04:22AM +0530, Martin C. Atkins wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:20:51 -0700 Michael Zappe <zapman@zappe.us> wrote:
> > DECnet actually had a deterministic algorithm for assigning MAC
> > addresses.  You had an area number that was 6 bits, and a 10 bit node
> > number.  Then you appended this to AA:00:04:00 to get the MAC address.
> > Multiple interfaces on the same machine all used the same MAC.
>
> Anyone know how vmware allocates its MAC addresses? They appear to
> own a OUI, but what about the other bits?

I seem to recall they document it somewhere.  In their help pages or
online 'Knowledge Base'?

DF

* Re: [9fans] unique MAC address allocation?
@ 2005-03-31  6:50     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-03-31  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Didn't DECnet do something like that?

it did.  as i recall, it smashed into the the ether addr's low bits
the machine's DECnet address for some vile hack so that
ether to DECnet address mapping would be 'easy' [on ULTRIX].

these all very vile and duplicate DECnet addresses would
ruin your whole day/week/month(s).

i knew there was something wrong with my machine but
could never figure it out until i stuck some printfs in the
kernel.  yup, duplicate DECnet addresses.  at this point
i surveyed the whole lab and made sure there were no dups.

@ 2005-03-31  5:34       ` Martin C. Atkins
From: Martin C. Atkins @ 2005-03-31  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:20:51 -0700 Michael Zappe <zapman@zappe.us> wrote:
> DECnet actually had a deterministic algorithm for assigning MAC
> addresses.  You had an area number that was 6 bits, and a 10 bit node
> number.  Then you appended this to AA:00:04:00 to get the MAC address.
> Multiple interfaces on the same machine all used the same MAC.

Anyone know how vmware allocates its MAC addresses? They appear to
own a OUI, but what about the other bits?

Martin

--
Martin C. Atkins			martin_ml@parvat.com
Parvat Infotech Private Limited		http://www.parvat.com{/,/martin}

* Re: [9fans] unique MAC address allocation?
@ 2005-03-31  0:20     ` Michael Zappe
From: Michael Zappe @ 2005-03-31  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Derek Fawcus wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:00:08AM -0700, Michael Zappe wrote:
>

>>As to question 4, nope.  The OS has no good way of determining a new MAC
>>address to override to (The OS doesn't have an OUI, and then how do you
>>pick the serial number after that??),
>>

>Pick a random number,  set the local allocation bit (second bit on wire)
>and then test the address to see if anyone responds to it.
>
>Didn't DECnet do something like that?

Yeah, but you're not guaranteed a reply to the packet.  It's a distinct
possibility that if you pick an address and a protocol, the other
machines stack may disregard it, i.e. blackholing pings, etc.  There's
no good way to detect the collision.  Theoretically you could use LLC to
check, but I wouldn't count on that being implemented correctly, if at
all... :-)  If you're using locally administered addresses, you can
assume that valid NICs aren't going to have this address, and the chance
of a collision is low. (N in 16 million for N machines with the same
OUI.)  So I guess that would work! :-)

@ 2005-03-30 23:54   ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2005-03-30 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-03-30 23:53         ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2005-03-30 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

geoff@collyer.net wrote:
> MAC addresses aren't supposed to collide; they're supposed to be
> globally unique.  So it's manufacturer's responsibility to get this
> right.  Users who override the MAC address do so at their own risk.

Supposedly.

Unless they're the cheap taiwanese clones of NE2000 cards that my
previous employer bought about ten years ago.  The first couple worked,
since they were on different bits of cable, then everything went
pear-shaped.  50 *identical* reverse-engineered chinese copy cards anyone?

> I'm not convinced that there's a genuine problem here, let alone a
> problem worth solving.

	Adrian

Adrian Tritschler                          mailto:ajft@ajft.org
Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E, Altitude 50m,      Shoe size 44

* Re: [9fans] unique MAC address allocation?
@ 2005-03-30 18:00 ` Michael Zappe
From: Michael Zappe @ 2005-03-30 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fgergo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

fgergo@gmail.com wrote:

>Not really plan9 specific, but
>1. does anybody know if and how MAC addresses are allocated to network
>card manufacturers?
>2. do manufacturers guarantee the uniqueness of MAC addresses they build?
>3. is it still true (was it ever true), that if I bought 2 NIC's,
>they'll have different MAC addresses?
>4. is it the responsibility of the OS to override the default MAC
>address if another card with the same (possibly overriden) MAC address
>was present on the LAN?
>
> thanks: gergo

Well, since my company makes network cards, I can probably help you
here! ;-)  Each vendor registers one or more 3 octet OUIs  from the
IEEE, which is used as the first 3 octets of a MAC address.  The
remaining 3 are up to the vendor to use.  Theoretically, all MAC
addresses are supposed to be unique.  For one vendor code you only have
16 million addresses available, so there is the possibility of wrap
around with MAC addresses -- it's up to the vendor to comply.  (Once you
have a practical deployed base of 90%, you can request a new OUI.) For
all practical purposes, you can assume that MAC addresses are unique.

For this part here is a good tutorial:
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/lanman.html

As to question 4, nope.  The OS has no good way of determining a new MAC
address to override to (The OS doesn't have an OUI, and then how do you
pick the serial number after that??), and it's not considered a real

@ 2005-03-30 13:20       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2005-03-30 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fgergo, 9fans

@ 2005-03-30 13:19       ` Artem Letko
From: Artem Letko @ 2005-03-30 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fgergo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ethernet assumes unique MACs. Save yourself some time and look up
Ethernet II encapsulation. Isn't that the one Plan9 uses anyway?

@ 2005-03-30 13:00     ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2005-03-30 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-03-30 11:27   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-03-30 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2005-03-30 11:20 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2005-03-30 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fgergo, 9fans

Manufacturers can request (or perhaps buy) a largish block of
addresses from some standards organisation (I think it's
Bellcore/Telcordia/whatever-they're-called-this-week).  If they
exhaust that block, they can get another, and so on.

Manufacturers are supposed to ensure uniqueness of MAC addresses, but
they've been known to screw up (e.g., SGI), so yes, two NICs are
supposed to have different MAC addresses.  In practice, since we don't
run XNS, a MAC address only has to be unique within the Ethernet that
its card is plugged into (assuming no BOOTP through gateways).

@ 2005-03-30 10:45 ` McLone
From: McLone @ 2005-03-30 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fgergo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:25:27 +0200, fgergo@gmail.com <fgergo@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. does anybody know if and how MAC addresses are allocated to network
> card manufacturers?
trere was some comitee that allocates to manufacturers different MAC prefixes.
> 2. do manufacturers guarantee the uniqueness of MAC addresses they build?
true
> 3. is it still true (was it ever true), that if I bought 2 NIC's,
> they'll have different MAC addresses?
true [ for not very old ethernet cards]
> 4. is it the responsibility of the OS to override the default MAC
> address if another card with the same (possibly overriden) MAC address
> was present on the LAN?
As far as i know, driver must allow this, and this process isn't automatic.
Only modern drivers allow MAC override [read: win32, nvidia nforce,
and wireless :-]

--
wbr,                        |\      _,,,---,,_           dog bless ya!

* [9fans] unique MAC address allocation?
@ 2005-03-30 10:25 fgergo
                   ` (2 more replies)