* Couple of questions - not sure where best to ask
@ 2020-10-14 18:10 Mack Wallace
       [not found] ` <fd4f4274-b62e-4d29-ac77-f6b54e7ed71d@sirjofri.de>
From: Mack Wallace @ 2020-10-14 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a super simple wiki that can be used by either the web, or bulk editing through acme. Wikifs seems to address this quite well. However i have run into a number of questions across various Plan 9 platforms and am not sure if they all should be in separate e-mail threads, or to different groups.

I have set up an experimental Plan9 cpu/file/auth server using 9front and am able to 9fs and rcpu into the box from another 9front VM. I understand that 9front has updated the authentication methods and encryption which is why I can not access from a Labs version (or plan9port) without some minor changes to the auth startup or open up the old cpu port. I have a number of questions related to plan9port as well as some more general Plan9/Acme/Wikifs questions.

My general questions: Is it possible to secure wikifs through the auth server? I am scratching for ideas, and certainly do not fully understand all the mechanisms of Plan 9 - From my guesses, Acme users could 9fs into the server (requiring auth), and run wiki on their own machine. However, I presume then there would be no management for write collisions. If one can manage the Wikifs by file permissions, wouldn’t that affect the ability of httpd to access the system? Another question, although, I am in a position to try this - is it possible to run multiple different Wikis, each as a different service? I know that does not work so well for http serving, but I may want to keep a couple separate wikis.

I have been able to get into the wiki from Windows using acme-sac, but I have had troubles with plan9port. Looking at plan9port, it looks like wikifs access is not in the port. Is this something that would be difficult to add? I seem to have more basic problems with plan9port from my Mac. During the build there was an issue with 'ambiguous recipes for macargv.o:.’ If I try to run the command to connect to a wiki, or even just the term “Local srv,” Acme crashes. For the ambiguous recipes, I am not sure if I should write a post in the plan9port-dev mail list, or in the plan9port github issues page. The discussions in those seem more about development than how I may be stupidly using the software.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to provide guidance.

M. B. Wallace

* Re: [9fans] Couple of questions - not sure where best to ask
       [not found] ` <fd4f4274-b62e-4d29-ac77-f6b54e7ed71d@sirjofri.de>
@ 2020-10-14 21:12   ` sirjofri+ml-9fans
From: sirjofri+ml-9fans @ 2020-10-14 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

you can run one wikifs on the server and share its service to multiple
clients. This addresses the write simultaneously issue. If in doubt you
can ask mycroftiv on 9gridchan, grid has a shared wiki service, web and
9p.

I mostly use wikifs to take notes for various projects, no http version,
so I can't really help more.

sirjofri