* Re: [9fans] Re: how to do a (floppy) diskless plan 9 install
@ 2001-01-22  4:20 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-01-22  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If anyone wants to try doing a floppyless
install, let me know.  It's not quite prime
time yet, but it does seem to work (Boyd's
laptop being the example).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: how to do a (floppy) diskless plan 9 install
@ 2001-01-22 23:41 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-22 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If anyone wants to try doing a floppyless
> install, let me know.  It's not quite prime
> time yet, but it does seem to work (Boyd's
> laptop being the example).

the search for the zipped version of the system
took a while.  me, not being patient, hit DEL
(well, what else would an old unix hack do?).

it showed me the disk where i knew the zipped
version was and it just worked.

hats off to russ, above and beyond the call
of duty.

* Re: [9fans] Re: how to do a (floppy) diskless plan 9 install
@ 2001-01-23  0:29 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-23  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dunno russ, i ain't seen the code, but like i said,
being and old unix hack, hitting del seemed like a
plan.  not only is 'coma' a vaio, it run's '98 in
french with an azerty keyboard.  so, i reckon you
did pretty good.

* Re: [9fans] Re: how to do a (floppy) diskless plan 9 install
@ 2001-01-23  0:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-01-23  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

fyi, it was just looking at your
disk partitions so it could present
you with a list of drives to mount.
it doesn't actually walk directory trees, etc.

i'm not sure what hitting rubout accomplished
or why it took so long.  it does copy the first
kilobyte of each drive into /tmp but that's
usually quite fast.

perhaps there was some non-existant drive waiting
for a timeout.

russ

* [9fans] Re: how to do a (floppy) diskless plan 9 install
       [not found] <200101220130.CAA09613@unix12.planete.net>
@ 2001-01-22  3:40 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-22  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

with a buncha help from russ i got plan 9 installed on
coma (a sony pcg-n505sn, usb floppy only).  so i shall
attack my 3com 3CCFE574BT pcmcia ethernet card next.

thanks russ, yer a genius.