* [9fans] plan9port update
@ 2005-01-14 21:23 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-01-14 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is a big update to Plan 9 port available now, at
http://swtch.com/plan9port.

The most significant user-visible change is that the entire system is
documented.  Intro(1) is a good starting point.

The most significant code change is that the thread library now uses
pthreads and ucontext(3) when possible.  This means that programs should
work properly on Linux 2.6 now, and that real threading can be used on
SunOS and Mac OS X now.  It also means porting the system is easier --
there's no sparc assembly at all in the tree, for example.  Finally, it means
that various hangs people saw when using the acme Edit command
are finally gone.

There are many many small improvements since the last real release,
far too many to list individually.   Intro(1) gives a list of man pages that
describe interesting differences from Plan 9 proper.

Thanks to everyone who helped test for the last week or two.
I've built and run the system on Mac OS X 10.3, Linux 2.4, 2.6, FreeBSD 5,
and SunOS 5.9 today, but there may well be small things that need to be
fixed still for other platforms.  If you're feeling a bit conservative you
might wait a week or two to let others find those.

Enjoy.
Russ

* Re: [9fans] plan9port update
@ 2005-01-17  5:10 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-01-17  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't know what I'm writing exactly but...

 :
> It also means porting the system is easier --
> there's no sparc assembly at all in the tree, for example.

Does this means I can compile and run p9port on Tru64 UNIX?
When I tried last, there was no lock related assembly codes there.

* RE: [9fans] plan9port update
@ 2005-01-17  6:23 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2005-01-17  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Minus the Sparc assembly, will it still run on Sparc?

As for Tru64, to my knowledge, no one has done any Alpha related work in some time...  I'd be interested to see if plan9port runs on Tru64, too...  Unfortunately, my Tru64-system-to-be isn't quite functional.... yet.

-Ben

	 :