* [9fans] dead things
@ 2004-05-27 14:29 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2004-05-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

About alef on sources :
> This kind of reminds me of porting Plan 9 to dead things...

Speaking of dead things, I got a few Dec Alpha Personal Workstation
from around 1997-1998, moribound but still alive.

Until now, I succeeded in loading a kernel,running factotum which asks
for a user name (but not for a password). Apparently connectil fails
to establish a connnection between the booting terminal and the
auth/file server.

I imagined that the auth/file server was ok, since drawterm succeed
(from a SunOs machine).

(The ethernet card is recognized as announced by a line printed by the kernel)

Any suggestion ? Anyone (still) using alphapc ?

jm

* Re: [9fans] dead things
@ 2004-05-27 18:33 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-05-27 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Any suggestion ? Anyone (still) using alphapc ?

i can get my hands on one, but it's a bit big, from ENS.

i've been told that a strongARM would be a better choice
and that i could get one.

'spose i should fix a VAIO broke last night first.

i hate that PC 'architecture' -- i really do  --  fait chier ...

* Re: [9fans] dead things
@ 2004-05-27 21:12   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-27 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 27 May 2004, boyd, rounin wrote:

> i've been told that a strongARM would be a better choice and that i
> could get one.

yes, that's a chip with a future.

ron

* Re: [9fans] dead things
@ 2004-05-27 21:14     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-05-27 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> yes, that's a chip with a future.

yeah, i was disuaded from talking the alpha.

i should get back to it, but i have the odd other battle to fight first.

* Re: [9fans] dead things
@ 2004-05-27 19:39 Ben Huntsman
From: Ben Huntsman @ 2004-05-27 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very interesting that you ask, because I've been looking to start using my loaded AlphaServer 1000 as my main Plan 9 system.  Unfortunately, my terminal just broke.  So though I don't suppose you could call it a 'pc', it's still an Alpha, and theoretically should boot.  Anyone know if it's strictly necessary to load bootalphapc via ether, or couldn't it just be loaded from a disc, since SRM will boot from discs?