* [9fans] fs + jukeboxes + non-WORM MO drives
@ 2005-04-19  9:01 Chris Collins
From: Chris Collins @ 2005-04-19  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

OK, this could be trivial or not...

I am wondering if anybody knows if the current (4e) version of the
fileserver kernel can work with a MO jukebox that is using non-WORM
cartridges.  That is, an MO jukebox which uses the standard SCSI
random access read/write commands to store and read data.

If not, how hard would it be to 'fix' the file server kernel so it
does?  (And does anybody have some good starting points on where to
start with such a modification).

All the material currently refers to the use of single drives as
Fake-WORMs, or the use of WORM catridges in such jukeboxes.  Whilst
the jukeboxes I do have support WORM and support the appropriate
commandset, I do not possess enough WORM catridges to operate it in
this mode, and would rather run it using the large stack of rewritable
cartridges I have on hand.

Thanks,
C.

* Re: [9fans] fs + jukeboxes + non-WORM MO drives
@ 2005-04-19 14:07 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-04-19 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We have 2 HP Surestore Optical jukeboxes, one is filled with RW
platters, the other with WO. The fs kernel doesn't care.

--jim

@ 2005-04-19 16:19   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-04-19 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> We have 2 HP Surestore Optical jukeboxes, one is filled with RW
> platters, the other with WO. The fs kernel doesn't care.
>
> --jim
>
> On Tue Apr 19 05:02:17 EDT 2005, xfire-9fans@xware.cx wrote:
>> OK, this could be trivial or not...

this is the h/w that was the old basser plan 9 system [1st Ed].
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604