* Re: [9fans] Re: Inferno magazine ad
@ 2001-02-01 21:55 kim kubik
From: kim kubik @ 2001-02-01 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: The Club Inferno, alg, hangar18

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 10:09 AM
Subject: [9fans] Re: Inferno magazine ad
-----Unoriginal Reply------

>On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:

>> what is the point of yet another bloated unix?  the time to
>> wipe the slate clean was 10 years ago,

>No, Commodore never could hire a decent marketing team for the Amiga is
>what happened.
>
>       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
>       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com

Jeeze, I didn't know anyone besides Bill Hawes, the group
at SLAC, and a few other Stanford people (Tom Rokicki especially)
ever caught on to what the AmigaOS was about. The ARexx Message
Ports for IPC seems like what 'plumber' is going to be when
it grows up . . . I haven't seen anything come close yet.

FWIW, Art Walker's gamma ray telescope (the EGRET) that he did for
his PhD project actually got up there, maybe a decade ago. I guess
it's still circling.

 - kim

* [9fans] Re: Inferno magazine ad
@ 2001-01-31 18:18 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-01-31 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: The Club Inferno, alg, hangar18

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:

> what is the point of yet another bloated unix?  the time to
> wipe the slate clean was 10 years ago, but the 2nd ed price
> may have scared off some people as well as the fact that
> 'plan 9 is not unix'.  a blinkered unix/linux hack will
> stick with that 20+ year old techology.

No, Commodore never could hire a decent marketing team for the Amiga is
what happened.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com