* Re: [9fans] Re: Inferno magazine ad
@ 2001-02-01 21:55 kim kubik
From: kim kubik @ 2001-02-01 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: The Club Inferno, alg, hangar18

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 10:09 AM
Subject: [9fans] Re: Inferno magazine ad
-----Unoriginal Reply------

>On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:

>> what is the point of yet another bloated unix?  the time to
>> wipe the slate clean was 10 years ago,

>No, Commodore never could hire a decent marketing team for the Amiga is
>what happened.
>
>       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
>       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com

Jeeze, I didn't know anyone besides Bill Hawes, the group
at SLAC, and a few other Stanford people (Tom Rokicki especially)
ever caught on to what the AmigaOS was about. The ARexx Message
Ports for IPC seems like what 'plumber' is going to be when
it grows up . . . I haven't seen anything come close yet.

FWIW, Art Walker's gamma ray telescope (the EGRET) that he did for
his PhD project actually got up there, maybe a decade ago. I guess
it's still circling.

 - kim

* Re: [9fans] Inferno magazine ad
@ 2001-01-31 17:55 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-31 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>

> BTW, is it just Linux you spit venom at, or all other OSes?

you think that's 'venom'?

i take dennis ritchie's position:

    unix has retarded o/s research by 10 years and linux has
    retarded it by 20.

i also found today this great reference to dante's inferno:

    ... there is a special place of torment reserved for
    those have been neutral in life.  Their sin is regarded
    so grave that they are not even allowed into hell, only
    its vestibule, separated from hell by the river Archeron.
    For their sin of indecision and vacillation, Dante devised
    an appropriate and awful torment: they were condemned
    to rush for ever behind a banner "which whirls with aimless
    speed as though it would never take a stand, while also
    being stung by swarms of persuing hornets".

        -- Deliver Us From Evil, William Shawcross, pp. 32-33.
           ISBN 0-7475-4844-7

what is the point of yet another bloated unix?  the time to
wipe the slate clean was 10 years ago, but the 2nd ed price
may have scared off some people as well as the fact that
'plan 9 is not unix'.  a blinkered unix/linux hack will
stick with that 20+ year old techology.