From: "Matt" <matt@proweb.co.uk>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] VGA and laptops
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:49:03 +0100	[thread overview]

> I'm pretty sure I got a cl-gd7543 going once before by simply adding the
> right chip magic number. It was on a Texas Instruments laptop of about
> 3-4 years ago vintage. The gl7543 is the Alpine I think. I had several of
> the manuals somewhere, but threw them away just after selling the laptop.

well the pdf for the chipset is on the Cirrus site
I've got a copy of it at :
http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt/plan9/gd7543db.pdf

the magic number reported by aux/vga is 0x30

I have no means of sorting it out myself

> If all you have to do is add a chip number then, I'm sorry, it might feel
like
> it, but you're not in VGA Hell! Just somewhere nearby, where the weather
is
> more pleasant.

ooh I might get a slight tan. Is being closer more or less hellish.
I bought the thing just for plan9 too.
it's got the right soundcard
the right pcmcia controller

jmc has been helping me

he's already had to make me a custom .9gz file for the install
cos the laptop thinks it's having sanity problems which may or may not be
true

quoting jim

"it's broken in the sense that it persistently reports there is a hardware
error. from the earlier trace MCA 0011c160 MCT 00000009
means there was probably a parity error on either a bus or memory
transaction "

I do have a question though, wasn't VESA compliance supposed to do away with
these problems
I downloaded the QNX demo disk and that gave me a choice of 5 or 6 screen
modes which all worked.

I don't pretend to know anything about VESA compliance other than I remember
it bringing true colour cards to the early windows world and helped some
game writers get around the drivers problem.

Matt