* [9fans] drawterm for osx 10.8 (update)
@ 2012-11-21 16:57 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-11-21 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

jas has pretty much got this licked.  it's good enough for
an alpha release.  the known issues now are
- an intermittent deadlock when going into full screen mode
and doing heavy draw i/o.
- i/o to /mnt/term blocks the draw thread so large file transfers
block screen updates.

https://bitbucket.org/jas/drawterm-cocoa

- erik

* Re: [9fans] drawterm for osx 10.8 (update)
@ 2012-11-21 17:57 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-11-21 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

works as expected (including the deadlock on fulscreen). a bit
flickery on window swipes, but nothing i can't live without.

it appears that one can enter full-screen but can't exit it?

xscr/vines in benchmark mode: 39fps for the new  drawterm, 43fps for the old.

@ 2012-11-21 18:45   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-11-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it appears that one can enter full-screen but can't exit it?

results may vary.  it's a bug.

since both issues can be tracked to a difference in pthreads,
it's likely that's where your 3fps went, too.

@ 2012-11-21 19:16   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2012-11-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 21, 2012, at 11:57 AM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:

> works as expected (including the deadlock on fulscreen). a bit
> flickery on window swipes, but nothing i can't live without.
>
> it appears that one can enter full-screen but can't exit it?

if it doesn't deadlock, then the same ctrl-cmd-F will exit it.

> xscr/vines in benchmark mode: 39fps for the new  drawterm, 43fps for the old.

I'll take a look at that, there are a few too many drawlock() calls
that probably could be cleared up.  Or it's just the hopping through
more layers into the Objective-C runtime…

-jas

* Re: [9fans] drawterm for osx 10.8 (update)
@ 2012-12-11  9:36 ` Luke Evans
From: Luke Evans @ 2012-12-11  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey, many thanks for drawterm-cocoa!

I was pleasantly 'shocked' to see this and it's at least part of the
reason I was excited to try Plan 9 out (on my Raspberry Pi when it
recently became available).

Would it be possible to get cut/paste between drawterm and the Mac
paste buffer?  There might be some other really nice integrations,
once everything critical is working well, but in any case, what's
here already is excellent.

Too bad there's no port of Plan 9 that will work on old PPC G5
Mac Pros, because I have one of those lying around and Plan 9 is
continuing to intrigue me.

* Re: [9fans] drawterm for osx 10.8 (update)
@ 2012-12-11 12:31   ` steve
From: steve @ 2012-12-11 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

there is some of a port of plan9 to the g4 imac, done by David
eachart (sp?) and his students. i believe it stalled when the
intel macs where announced, however you could probably
try to re-awaken it...

check the Ports page of the wiki.

-steve

@ 2012-12-11 13:59     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-12-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> eachart (sp?) and his students. i believe it stalled when the

eckhardt.  from cmu.

@ 2012-12-11 14:02   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-12-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Would it be possible to get cut/paste between drawterm and the Mac
> paste buffer?  There might be some other really nice integrations,
> once everything critical is working well, but in any case, what's
> here already is excellent.

?  that already works for me.  just double-checked.  a word of
warning: drawterm-cocoa has some issues for osx < 10.8.
the rate at which apple fiddles with stuff is pretty amazing.

- erik