* [9fans] new font
@ 2003-07-13 17:03 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-13 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanx to  Skip Tavakkolian's bdf2subf (http://www.9netics.com/who/fst/)
program I have converted the XFree86 utf-8 font that I use the most in UNIX.
Here is a screenshot, comparing it with unicode.8.font:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/screenshots/scr-9x18.png

note how much better the other characters look.

this font has additional 18x18kr and 18x18jp glyphs, which makes it pretty
much the most complete font of them all. note, however that there are still
some problems with accented capital letters (O, U on the first row) which
I'm not sure whether to blame the font or the conversion for.

since it comes from XFree86, the license (I believe) would be more liberal
than some of the fonts currently in Plan 9. I would imagine that including
it in the default distribution wouldn't be a problem, right? i've left the
NUL glyph empty, so that bell-labs people will have the chance to add pjw's
face as it is with all other fonts

cheers, andrey

ps: mail me for the font.. i haven't added the japanese and korean glyphs
yet, but will do so later today.

pps: Skip's bdf2subf program did all the work -- thank him for it :)