* RE: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-02 12:08 cej
From: cej @ 2003-12-02 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Inferno is to Plan 9 as Java is to Windoze ;-) as I understand it
Plan 9 is OS, but inferno is a layer above OS that runs on that (or other[?]) OS.
See also Wiki:
http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/index.html
and FAQ:
http://ask.km.ru/3p/plan9faq.html

Hope this helps. Cross fingers. Stay tuned.
++pac.

>  But I don't know the differences between Inferno and Plan9. Which was the first. Advantages >  and disandvantages comparing each other. Simplicity to setup and use. UNIX-likness.
[snip]

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Verze: 6.0.545 / Virová báze: 339 - datum vydání: 27. 11. 2003

* Re: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-02 20:29 ` Michael Jeffrey
From: Michael Jeffrey @ 2003-12-02 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Inferno is to Plan 9 as Java is to Windoze ;-) as I understand it
> Plan 9 is OS, but inferno is a layer above OS that runs on that (or
other[?]) OS.

This is a common misconception.  Inferno is an operating system and, like
Plan 9 and most other operating systems, can run as the native OS
on bare hardware.  A fairly wide range of architectures are supported, have
a look
at http://www.vitanuova.com/solutions/embedded/index.html.

Unlike other OSes however, Inferno can also run as an application on top of
an
existing OS; which is what you referred to above.  Inferno in this case does
not
manage the hardware directly but through services provided by the underlying
OS.

The important thing however is that in both cases system resources are
presented
in precisely the same way irrespective of whether Inferno is managing the
hardware
or running on top of another platform.

The way resources are represented (namespaces) is shared with Plan 9 and the
protocol
for communication with resources is also shared.  Plan 9 came first.

To take full advantage of Inferno's portability across hardware
architectures and OS
platforms you, ideally, would like portable applications.  The Limbo
language
within Inferno provides this application portability.  Limbo is a
concurrent, modular
programming language that has a C-like syntax.  The byte code representing a
compiled Limbo program is portable to any platform on which Inferno is
running.
If you like, Limbo is to Inferno what Java would have been to JavaOS if it
had
existed.

* Re: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-03  1:46 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-12-03  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    Inferno is to Plan 9 as Java is to Windoze ;-) as I understand it ....

yeah, right.

* Re: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-05 15:36   ` a
From: a @ 2003-12-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...Limbo is to Inferno what Java would have been to JavaOS if it had existed.

that is, for more than a few months.
ア

* Re: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-02 15:27   ` phillip stanley-marbell
From: phillip stanley-marbell @ 2003-12-02 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm teaching a class next semester on concurrency and distributed
systems using Inferno and Limbo

	http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~pstanley/98-023/

cheers,
phillip

On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 09:32 AM, John Stalker wrote:

>> Are any lecturer or techer who use these systems (I'm interesting in
>> Inferno more then in Plan9. If am wrong in my estimations - correct my
>> please with clear arguments).
>
> I certainly use plan9, but I suspect that is not what you meant.  I
> assume
> you mean "Is there anyone who uses plan9 or inferno as an example of
> OS design?"  The answer for plan9 is yes.  See
>
> 	http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/docencia/asignaturas/osd/
>
> for example.  I don't know of anyone using inferno for that purpose.

* Re: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-02 14:36   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-12-02 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We are also using Inferno as a platform for our distributed
systems lab (a 3rd year course).
	http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/docencia/asignaturas/ampliacion_ssoo

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2777 bytes --]

From: John Stalker <stalker@Math.Princeton.EDU>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:32:33 -0500

--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics

* Re: [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-02 14:32 ` John Stalker
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: John Stalker @ 2003-12-02 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-12-02 13:52 cej
From: cej @ 2003-12-02 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I see. Apologies. Eternal newbie, forever...
++pac.

>> Inferno is to Plan 9 as Java is to Windoze ;-) as I understand it Plan
>> 9 is OS, but inferno is a layer above OS that runs on that (or
other[?]) OS.

> This is a common misconception.  Inferno is an operating system and, like Plan 9 and most [snip]

---

@ 2003-12-02 13:47   ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-12-02 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> for example.  I don't know of anyone using inferno for that purpose.

Now that the Programming with Limbo book is out Inferno is considered
as an educational tool for a 3rd year operating systems course at
our university...

Surely there are others.

andrey

* [9fans] ... from Inferno...
@ 2003-12-02 11:45 WLad
From: WLad @ 2003-12-02 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've asked a question to Inferno news. I wondered if any people do
somthing valuable using Inferno. Ben <cellctl@lycos.com> advised me to
ask same question here.
But I don't know the differences between Inferno and Plan9.
Which was the first.
Advantages and disandvantages comparing each other.
Simplicity to setup and use. UNIX-likness.
Programming environments.
Existing IDEs (or the same tools for programming).
Are any lecturer or techer who use these systems (I'm interesting in
Inferno more then in Plan9. If am wrong in my estimations - correct my
please with clear arguments).
Is there any implementation od Ada for Inferno or Plan9 or I will be
satisfied by "staff" tools?

TNX VY 73!