From: rog@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu, presotto@closedmind.org
Subject: Re: [9fans] accept in dial(2)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:33:23 +0100	[thread overview]

> The fd used should indeed be the one returned
> by listen.  aux/listen et al are wrong.  However,
> since we shut off datakit, it really hasn't mattered
> because we currently don't have the ability to reject
> IP calls.

just thought i'd mention that i just had a look at the devdk.c in the
3rd edition code, and it really does look like it *was* the fd
returned by announce which was used when accepting or rejecting a
call, at least, it was back then.

for instance dkanswer() is called (in dklisten()) before a line directory
for the new connection has been allocated. moreover dkanswer()
treats the data file corresponding to the ctl file it has been passed
as distinct from the data file corresponding to the line directory
as passed as an argument to the "accept" message.

i guess it might be desirable to change this behaviour,
but by the lights of that datakit driver, listen(1), (which
was contemporaneous with, and presumably worked with, datakit)
is correct, and the example in dial(2) is wrong.

if the behaviour was to be changed, i'd suggest that perhaps
the "line directory" argument to the "accept" and "reject" messages
be omitted, as it's redundant when used in this way.

just my 2c. as presotto points out it's not currently relevant.