* [9fans] Location of plan9.ini
@ 2012-05-10 11:35 IainWS
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: IainWS @ 2012-05-10 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been looking for the plan9.ini file in the obvious locations -
however it hasn't turned up. I would like to change my monitor size
inside of my virtual box but apparently I need the plan9.ini file.

The instructions that are out there are presently to mount 9fs 9fat
and then edit the file /n/9fat/plan9.ini but this isnt there. Using
touch n/9fat/plan9.ini gives the error message "permission denied".
Where is it?

* Re: [9fans] Location of plan9.ini
@ 2012-05-10 11:50 ` David du Colombier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-05-10 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have been looking for the plan9.ini file in the obvious locations -
> however it hasn't turned up. I would like to change my monitor size
> inside of my virtual box but apparently I need the plan9.ini file.
>
> The instructions that are out there are presently to mount 9fs 9fat
> and then edit the file /n/9fat/plan9.ini but this isnt there. Using
> touch n/9fat/plan9.ini gives the error message "permission denied".
> Where is it?

Type '9fat:', then edit /n/9fat/plan9.ini.
See dossrv(4).

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Location of plan9.ini
@ 2012-05-10 12:10 ` IainWS
       [not found] ` <9bb70671-c562-426d-9698-4cbe4131b7f4@ri8g2000pbc.googlegroups.co>
From: IainWS @ 2012-05-10 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On May 10, 9:50 pm, 0in...@gmail.com (David du Colombier) wrote:
> > I have been looking for the plan9.ini file in the obvious locations -
> > however it hasn't turned up. I would like to change my monitor size
> > inside of my virtual box but apparently I need the plan9.ini file.
>
> > The instructions that are out there are presently to mount 9fs 9fat
> > and then edit the file /n/9fat/plan9.ini but this isnt there. Using
> > touch n/9fat/plan9.ini gives the error message "permission denied".
> > Where is it?
>
> Type '9fat:', then edit /n/9fat/plan9.ini.
> See dossrv(4).
>
> --
> David du Colombier

Yes, but I get /bin/9fat does not exist.

@ 2012-05-10 12:15   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-05-10 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes, but I get /bin/9fat does not exist.

don't drop the ":".  you need to type "9fat:".

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Location of plan9.ini
@ 2012-05-10 12:18   ` Nicolas Bercher
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2012-05-10 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/05/2012 14:10, IainWS wrote:
> Yes, but I get /bin/9fat does not exist.

Type 9fat: not 9fat

Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] Location of plan9.ini
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <9bb70671-c562-426d-9698-4cbe4131b7f4@ri8g2000pbc.googlegroups.co>
@ 2012-05-10 12:38 ` IainWS
From: IainWS @ 2012-05-10 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On May 10, 10:15 pm, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > Yes, but I get /bin/9fat does not exist.
>
> don't drop the ":".  you need to type "9fat:".
>
> - erik

Thanks mate it worked first go.

* Re: [9fans] Location of plan9.ini
@ 2012-05-10 12:52   ` Jack Norton
From: Jack Norton @ 2012-05-10 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/10/2012 7:38 AM, IainWS wrote:
> On May 10, 10:15 pm, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
>>> Yes, but I get /bin/9fat does not exist.
>>
>> don't drop the ":".  you need to type "9fat:".
>>
>> - erik
>
> Thanks mate it worked first go.

I know this will sound terribly stupid but I've a good beginners tip:
open up two rio windows (nice and large).  in one, `lc /bin`.  in the
other, go through each binary in bin you listed and execute.  If
something isn't obvious, then man that binary.  if there is no man page,
go to /sys/src/cmd and find the source and read it.
After that, then have a look in /rc/bin as well.

Just poke around.  Assume that you will probably hose your system a few
times in the process.  In fact, if you haven't hosed your system yet,
you aren't climbing up the learning curve.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Location of plan9.ini
       [not found] <83626e5a-87d0-47ea-aa5a-dabfababa33a@to5g2000pbc.googlegroups.co>
@ 2012-05-10 11:47 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-05-10 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The instructions that are out there are presently to mount 9fs 9fat
> and then edit the file /n/9fat/plan9.ini but this isnt there. Using
> touch n/9fat/plan9.ini gives the error message "permission denied".
> Where is it?

did you forget the leading "/"?  if not, did you run 9fat:?

- erik