* [9fans] Article in the Economist about Bill Joy
@ 2002-10-02  4:03 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-10-02  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sep 21st issue of The Economist has a technology article about Bill
Joy and the latest in the alphabet soup that starts with J, namely
JXTA.  Since it was the second time I heard about JXTA, I decided to
read up on it.  Maybe I'm oversimplifying or maybe I'm sleepy, but it
seems that Sun has finally abandoned the CORBA/DCOM notions of object
discovery/brokering for distributed systems (at least ad-hoc P2P variety) and
coming around a set of protocols for some basic services.

In all sincerity, I want to know what is revolutionary about JXTA?
If you are wondering how this relates to Plan9, anything that claims
to be the panacea for distributed computing needs to get compared
to Plan9, which we all know IS ☺

* Re: [9fans] Article in the Economist about Bill Joy
@ 2002-10-02 15:00 ` Arnaud SAHUGUET
From: Arnaud SAHUGUET @ 2002-10-02 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I played with JXTA over a year ago.
I don't see anything revolutionary here.

The main components are:
- a discovery protocol, which is neither smart nor efficient. But people can
provide their own if they want. Most deployed architecture are not pure P2P
because they use some central servers keeping track of the various nodes.
- a suite of services that can be used by the applications built on top of
JXTA (e.g. persistent store, etc.)
- a message-based mechanism (based on XML) to describe the wiring between
nodes (pipes)
- code on demand when they are using Java (but JXTA is not Java specific)

 I think that a good way to see how revolutionary JXTA is is to look at the
applications built on top of it. For most (if not all) of them, it is
reinventing the wheel.

regards,

Arnaud