* [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller
@ 2008-10-20  8:16 Yoshi Rokuko
From: Yoshi Rokuko @ 2008-10-20  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey folks,

yesterday I installed Plan 9 to my ThinkPad (X30) and the graphical
installer worked fine (with 1024x768x8 and xga). And now if I first login
with user glenda the display gets fading green into purple - looks scary.

I had this once with a wrong or old/buggy intel driver under linux also ...

Can't I just use the driver like in the installer?

Regards, y0shi

Here is what linux tells me with lspci:
(visual http://yokuts.org/lspci.png)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset
Graphics Controller] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: IBM ThinkPad A/T/X Series
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx- Latency: 0 Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=512K]
Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1
Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1+ D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-) Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0
PME- Kernel modules: intelfb

--
psyc://nemesis.psyc.biz/~y0shi
http://psyc.biz/y0shi_public.key

* Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller
@ 2008-10-20 12:11 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-20 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can't I just use the driver like in the installer?

setting "monitor=vesa" would probablly do the trick.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller
@ 2008-10-20 12:38   ` Yoshi Rokuko
From: Yoshi Rokuko @ 2008-10-20 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Can't I just use the driver like in the installer?
>
> setting "monitor=vesa" would probablly do the trick.
>
> - erik

than I have a probably easy question: how can I get into the system and
edit plan9.ini in order to add monitor=vesa?

I know this (see down below), but how do I get there?

9fat:
sam /n/9fat/plan9.ini

Thanks again, regards,
y0shi

* Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller
@ 2008-10-20 12:51     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-20 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> than I have a probably easy question: how can I get into the system and
> edit plan9.ini in order to add monitor=vesa?
>
> I know this (see down below), but how do I get there?

i'm not sure what the problem is here.  can you not view the screen?
assuming that's the problem, you could
* enter a bogus monitor & resolution if prompted
* boot from livecd.  if /dev/sdC0/9fat doesn't appear
   you may need to run
	cd /dev/sdC0
	disk/fdisk -p data>ctl ; disk/prep -p plan9>ctl
  first

- erik

* Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller
@ 2008-10-20 18:49       ` Yoshi Rokuko
From: Yoshi Rokuko @ 2008-10-20 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans