From: YAMANASHI Takeshi <uncover@beat.cc.titech.ac.jp>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] user-level file systems for Linux
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:10:18 +0900	[thread overview]

On Thu Feb 19 11:01:55 JST 2004, Russ Cox wrote:
> There is a user-level file system driver for Linux
> called FUSE that has just released a new stable version:
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=350517
> They have user-level servers to mount various archives
> and various network protocols (http, ftp, smb).

I have been pondering about making a central file server
that serves a file system to PCs.  PCs are scattered around
the university and running Linux or Windows, maintained by
normal people; that is, PCs are really Personal Computers.

I'd love to see the server running Plan 9, but the protocols
between the server and PCs were an issue because NFS must
be avoided in this case.  But now, FUSE/ftp would settle
the issue for Linux.  Windows can mount ftp servers as if
they are normal folders already.

But still, I wish FUSE will support 9p2000 someday. :)