* [9fans] plan9 won't install on my system
@ 2009-01-23  9:49 elot
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: elot @ 2009-01-23  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hey,i have an intel core 2 duo CPU E7300 with an ASUS motherboard and
an nvidia 8500GT/PCI/SSE2 graphic card.i tried to install plan9 but it
stops at a part that says irq 3 routing and wont even bring up the
boot options.i looked at the list of supported hardware and i've been
on the freenodes but no luck.what could be wrong?

* Re: [9fans] plan9 won't install on my system
@ 2009-01-23 14:24 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-23 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 23 04:52:06 EST 2009, samtholi40@gmail.com wrote:
> hey,i have an intel core 2 duo CPU E7300 with an ASUS motherboard and
> an nvidia 8500GT/PCI/SSE2 graphic card.i tried to install plan9 but it
> stops at a part that says irq 3 routing and wont even bring up the
> boot options.i looked at the list of supported hardware and i've been
> on the freenodes but no luck.what could be wrong?

sounds like it's probing something that doesn't want to be
probed.  does the current install cd's 9load use bios?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 won't install on my system
@ 2009-01-23 16:25 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-01-23 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:49 AM, elot <samtholi40@gmail.com> wrote:
> hey,i have an intel core 2 duo CPU E7300 with an ASUS motherboard and
> an nvidia 8500GT/PCI/SSE2 graphic card.i tried to install plan9 but it
> stops at a part that says irq 3 routing and wont even bring up the
> boot options.i looked at the list of supported hardware and i've been
> on the freenodes but no luck.what could be wrong?

It would be useful to see your full output. This could be a bad IRQ
routing table, coupled with the BIOS messing up IRQ setup in a way
that Windows or Linux might fix but Plan 9 can not.

At this point, on SMP machines, there are three tables that could be
used to provide routing for IRQs:
- $PIR (frequently wrong, not usually used if _MP_ is found)
- _MP_ mostly right but ...
- ACPI  usually right (but not always!)

Plan 9 does not parse acpi yet. This is going to hurt us more and more
because in many case, motherboard manufacturers do a very poor job of
setting up the other two tables. We've seen cases where the $PIR table
was just copied from one board to a totally different board with no
changes.

If somebody wants a project ACPI is out there waiting. Warning: ACPI
will make your eyes bleed; it's that bad unless you think FOUR CHAR
NAME _ARE GOOD _FOR ALL_ USES (well that's the least worst part of
it).

Can you get some serial output for us to see?

ron

* Re: [9fans] plan9 won't install on my system
@ 2009-01-23 16:33   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-23 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If somebody wants a project ACPI is out there waiting. Warning: ACPI
> will make your eyes bleed; it's that bad unless you think FOUR CHAR
> NAME _ARE GOOD _FOR ALL_ USES (well that's the least worst part of
> it).

oh, you don't give them enough credit.
those are 32-bit integers whose bytes are
constrainted to have values from 0x41 to
0x5a.

☺

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 won't install on my system
@ 2009-01-26 10:31 ` elot
From: elot @ 2009-01-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

well i get this
PBSI......plan9 from bell labs
ELCR:0C28
pcirouting:8086/27DF at pin 1 irq 3
dev A0 port C400 config 0C5A capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 207F
LLBA sectors 625142558

and then it just sort of hangs there and nothing else goes on.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 won't install on my system
@ 2009-01-26 13:26   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-26 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Jan 26 05:42:16 EST 2009, samtholi40@gmail.com wrote:
> well i get this
> PBSI......plan9 from bell labs
> ELCR:0C28
> pcirouting:8086/27DF at pin 1 irq 3
> dev A0 port C400 config 0C5A capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 207F
> LLBA sectors 625142558
>
> and then it just sort of hangs there and nothing else goes on.

you wouldn't happen to have sata ports and pata
connectors on the motherboard would you?  this
could be a war between the legacy interface and
the ahci interface running on the same drives.

what you can change is the configuration of the
pata/sata ports in bios.  try setting up ahci mode
first.  if your bios is currently set to "conbined"
mode, try normal mode, too.

if things still aren't working, could you add
*pcihinv=1 to your plan 9 ini and send the output?
(or run lspci -vvvn under linux)

- erik