* [9fans] Road-highlighting like in games/roads
@ 2013-04-18 19:18 a
From: a @ 2013-04-18 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

2nd Edition Plan 9 had a neat program, games/road, which
provided a map of the US with data on roads and the like.
Among other neat features was the ability to highlight
just requested features. For example, you could have the
map show just I-80 and US-22.

I've got a project (not related to Plan 9) in which that
particular function would be very useful, but I've never
seen it in any other mapping application. Has anyone
seen such a thing elsewhere?

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Road-highlighting like in games/roads
@ 2013-04-19 15:24 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2013-04-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 03:18:22PM -0400, a@9srv.net wrote:
> 2nd Edition Plan 9 had a neat program, games/road, which
> provided a map of the US with data on roads and the like.
> Among other neat features was the ability to highlight
> just requested features. For example, you could have the
> map show just I-80 and US-22.
>
> I've got a project (not related to Plan 9) in which that
> particular function would be very useful, but I've never
> seen it in any other mapping application. Has anyone
> seen such a thing elsewhere?

This is typically what a G.I.S. delivers (kerGIS can do this; but the
public version is orphaned and will need to clean up all the curses
programs---one can do without: they are just interfaces---and add a rio
displaying device; kerGIS not public... is not public...). For other
open source GIS, I guess you will have rough times since they are
monsters probably not even very POSIXly correct...
                      http://www.kergis.com/