* RE: Re: [9fans] release -1 of smacme
@ 2006-07-07 14:59 Retzki, Sascha [Xplain]
From: Retzki, Sascha [Xplain] @ 2006-07-07 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I agree. This is an annoyance for me. I also wish rc would get *some*
> kind of history; if I want to re-run troff after making a change to a
> file, it's faster to type "!!" than to select the previous command,
> snarfing, pasting, clicking at the end of the line, and hitting enter.

There is a command 'Send' in the Menu. Not that this is a
counter-argument, I am just pointing out things ;-)

* RE: Re: [9fans] release -1 of smacme
@ 2006-07-07 15:04 ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-07-07 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/rc.p9p.history.tar.bz2.
rc-history.tbz2 is the plan9 version and history.c is the plan 9 program
that replaces v10's =.  (you should use the version that comes with byron's
rc for unix.)

- erik

@ 2006-07-07 20:35   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-07-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/7/06, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com <jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?  Ja!
> ...Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
>
> If you survived that, to repeat, where is the interesting Plan 9
> related traffic these days?

On the v9fs mailing list.

*runs away*

@ 2006-07-07 20:08                   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-07-07 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> OK, I'll bite for the 2nd time today - where's the useful traffic?

It's a lot better than what's on TV.

* Re: Re: [9fans] release -1 of smacme
@ 2006-07-07 16:45                 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-07-07 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-07-07 16:27               ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-07-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> fn !! {
> 	whatever you like
> }
>
> although i tend to use x (say) rather than !!
> normally i used send, but the above is easier when moving between
> several windows and acme for one task

Various ways of doing this have been posted to 9fans back when the
list actually had some useful traffic.  My favorites are russ' " and
"" that can be found in /n/sources/contrib/rsc/scripts/ Many other
useful bits can be found in russ's contrib dir, I find g and Clean
particularly handy.

And for those that need a way to go to the previous or next line with
the keyboard, ^A+Left and ^E+Right do just that.

uriel

* Re: Re: [9fans] release -1 of smacme
@ 2006-07-07 16:00             ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2006-07-07 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

fn !! {
	whatever you like
}

@ 2006-07-07 14:53           ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-07-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/7/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> > David Leimbach wrote:
> > > LOL, totally knew he'd show up if I said that :-)
> > >
> > > Hi Rob, don't worry I was kidding.
> > >

> > yeah, but, like it or not folks, people want it, so I went ahead and did
> > it.
> >
> > It's not called smacme for nothing.
> >
> > ron
> >

> I was only kidding about the snarf buffer stuff... :-)  I have often
> needed to navigate up or down one line at a time and didn't want to
> grab the mouse to do so.
>
> It's a text editor, I'm going to type "eventually", why move my hand
> really far away from the place where I do that to move up or down one
> line?
I agree. This is an annoyance for me. I also wish rc would get *some*
kind of history; if I want to re-run troff after making a change to a
file, it's faster to type "!!" than to select the previous command,
snarfing, pasting, clicking at the end of the line, and hitting enter.

> The same argument holds for why pointing and clicking the mouse 30
> lines down is faster than hitting down 30 times so I don't see that as
> a violation of the spirit of what Acme is supposed to be very good at.
>
> The original author may disagree with me.
>
> The snarf comment was just an attempt to get "smacked" ;-).  The fact
> that I have mouse chording alone means that this feature would have
> been duplicate and probably not as good as what's already there.
I wouldn't mind a shortcut to paste. When snarfing, the hand is
already on the mouse anyway, but if I want to paste multiple times
over time, I'd like to do it with hands on the keyboard.

--
TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

* Re: Re: [9fans] release -1 of smacme
@ 2006-07-07 14:34         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-07-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs