From: Robert Raschke <rrplan9@tombob.com>
To: knapjack@gmail.com, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] acme/sam junky in need of advice
Date: Mon,  9 May 2005 16:51:38 +0100	[thread overview]

On 9 May 2005, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/05, Richard Bilson <rcbilson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This isn't going to help Robby, but I'll point out, for the sake of
>> the archives, that the 9pm sam works for me on XP pro. I do have
>> problems with some of the other programs (rc, in particular).
>
> I use all of the above regularly on XP SP2 with no problems.
>
> Could you post a bug-inducing rc script for me to test?
>
> As for Robby, there's always acme under Inferno, if you don't mind the
> extra layer.  I've also seen rumors of people getting plan9ports
> working under Cygwin (I wonder if it works under U/WIN as well?) so
> there may be other options yet.

Well, on my setup XP Por SP2 on an HP nc8000 laptop, Sam starts up and
I can navigate fine with the mouse for a little while.  Sometimes it
goes into not responding state the second I touch the keybord, and
sometimes I can type for a while and when I attempt to use the mouse
again it dies.  It might be hardware related in some way?  Both
keyboard and mouse are USB.  (9pm works without a hitch on my really
old Dell laptop at home with W2K.)

Inferno is an interesting idea.  I haven't looked at that in about 3-4
years.  How good are the chances of me accessing Windows shares and/or
local disks from Inferno?  (At the moment I'm trying to find a way to
run Linux under Virtual PC, so multiple layers don't faze me.  VMWare
made me unpopular with the sysadmins, so hopefully MS tech might
not interfere so much with the network. Here's me hoping, eh?)

Thank you to Nigel Roles who pointed out TextPad to me, which seems to
be nicely unobtrusive after I've turned off all the highlighting and
tab munging.  This will keep me sane for a little while longer.

Robby