* [9fans] How to maintain a venti server
@ 2007-04-18 12:23 Christian Kellermann
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2007-04-18 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear list,

After reading through the venti paper and the relevant manpages some
questions still prevail:

+ How can I check the status of my venti server easily? The only
option I could find is reading through ventis status pages. Although
I couldn't read from that with abaco or hget...

+ How can I archive my venti? Heiko on this list mentioned burning
the arenas to a disk. Is there something like dump9660 for this? As
dump9660 works on a file basis only I guess it cannot be used.

+ Am I supposed to run maintenance tasks of ventiaux(8) on a regular
basis? If yes when and which?

+ I want to use a venti server as backup server for a some machines
in my network, plan9 and others. What are my best options? I thought
about using p9p's vac to copy the other machine's backups to venti, but I
would like to make them available again through a nice directory
structure a la dumpfs on the plan9 server. (Which in turn
could be exported via nfs)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)