From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Dell E4300?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:18:34 -0400	[thread overview]

> boot: can't connect to file server: '#S/sdD0' file does not exist
> panic: boot process died: unknown
> panic: boot process died: unknown
> dumpstack disabled
> cpo0: exiting

fixed.  you should now be able to boot from the cd regardless
of which port you've plugged it into sdE5 should be fine.

> I recall reading that the CD is otherwise identical to the "stock"
> version.  So, if I recompile the kernel, it'll break, right?  What
> utterances do I need to enter in order to rebuild the kernel as it
> appears on the 9atom cd?

so, while i recommend that the contrib packages be used instead,
after some thought and a few hrs of quality time removing half-finished
bits, i packaged up the source used to build the 9atom kernels.
	ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/kernel.mkfs.bz2
to extract to the current directory
	bunzip2 < kernel.mkfs.bz2 | disk/mext -d .
if anyone objects to this being out there, i'll just remove it.

off the top of my head, this kernel has the following little
bits in addition to tje contrib packages:
- jumbo frames, used with aoe (#l0/ether0/mtu),
- /dev/cputemp on modern amd and intel processors,
- kbd led control, repluggable ps/2 mice, cec console server,
- console on non-onboard serial lines, turning serial console on/off,
- pat,
- /dev/nomp (mp irqs off), and /dev/mpirq (irqs turned on),

the kernel you build will *still* be a little different than mine
because of some changes to libauthsrv i made.  these differences
are in the patch "readnvram" that allow nvram to be on any sd
device.  this is particularly useful for ahci laptops that may have
sdE2 (cdrom) and sdE3 (hd).  while they could have been added
to the big array in libauthsrv.c/nvram, i found it hard to manage.

- erik