I beleive you must have a factotum running, its started at boot, so I would expect it to prompt you for a key (user & password in this case). If this happened once and you have the wrong key then factotum will rembember them until reboot or its told to forget. rob (pike) posted a neat script, delkey, a while back to simplify the deletion of unwanted/bad keys. I don't know why this didn't make it into the distribution. I run a simgle plan9 machine so I have no secstore. In my $user/lib/profile I have: echo -n 'factotum ' auth/aescbc -d < $home/lib/wallet | read -m > /mnt/factotum/ctl This works similarly though less securely (somone could steal my wallet and spend weeks cracking it). -Steve