From: Yoann Padioleau <pad@fb.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] mechanism to bind partitions in /dev?
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 22:34:49 +0000	[thread overview]

Got it, thx a lot.
Just need to do  fdisk -p /dev/sdC0/data > /dev/sdC0/ctl
and then prep -p /dev/sdC0/plan9 > /dev/sdC0/ctl

On Jan 17, 2014, at 11:17 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com<mailto:bruce.ellis@gmail.com>> wrote:

disk/prep (and it's mates) are what you need for sdC0. man 8 prep.

brucee

On 18 January 2014 17:57, Yoann Padioleau <pad@fb.com<mailto:pad@fb.com>> wrote:
Hi,

Can someone explain how the partitions in /dev/sdC0/xxx are populated? Who
create those device files? I have a small plan9 kernel running a small shell (sh.Z)
in memory and when I do  'bind #S/sdC0 /dev/' I just see the 'data', 'ctl', and 'raw' files.
There is no 9fat or plan9 or whatever partitions there is on this disk. In fact I've
tried to make on MACos via the Utility disk some fat images and when I do
qemu -hdb dosdisk.img I can not access again the fat partition on this disk
(I've tried dossrv and then mount /srv/dos/ /mnt #sdC1/data but it does not work).
I can access it though when it's on a floppy disk (mount /srv/dos /mnt /dev/fd0disk
works). How fd0disk is different from #sdC1/data?