well, kernel binaries are different for terminals and cpu servers, but these are built from the same source code. in reality the kernel is the same modulo some drivers and one variable ( e.g. no vga in cpu servers). -Steve > On 19 Dec 2014, at 03:15, da Tyga wrote: > > Plan9 kernel is monolithic with the drivers required for a specific platform compiled in. > > So you might need to write specific drivers for new hardware if they are not already available. > > The paper: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/compiling_kernels/ explains the steps required to generate a new kernel. BTW, even for the same hardware, the kernels are different for terminals, cpu servers, etc. > > >> On 19 December 2014 at 07:06, wrote: >> cigar562hfsp952fans@icebubble.org writes: >> >> > Yes, I figured it might require some new device drivers, but why would >> > it require a new kernel? I thought there was already a Plan 9 kernel >> > for Arm Cortex-series processors. That's one of the reasons why I >> > developed such a crush on OMAP. ;) >> >> BTW, that was not intended as a rhetorical question; I really am curious >> why the device would require a whole new kernel...