* Re: [9fans] unix rc homepage disapear
       [not found] <4164b00c4c086d8f1884d7338a3d3174@quanstro.net>
@ 2006-05-12 22:31 ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2006-05-12 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>>>>> On Fri, 12 May 2006, "quanstro" == quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:

  quanstro> it's on sources: /n/sources/contrib/rc.p9p.history.tar.bz2

I tried it. It works well with history(1). Thanks !

Another thing: I have this odd prompt:
broken!

I though that it is because the source are not in sync with my version of
plan9port ?. I'm using plan9port-20060511.
--
GAGNON serge <serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca>
PGP KEY-ID: 0xBBC1478F

* Re: [9fans] unix rc homepage disapear
@ 2006-05-12 23:36   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-05-12 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I though that it is because the source are not in sync with my version of
> plan9port ?. I'm using plan9port-20060511.

it's because you are running a binary named *.out or *.rc.
once you install the binary as plain old rc the prompt will

russ

* Re: [9fans] unix rc homepage disapear
@ 2006-05-12 23:53     ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2006-05-12 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

  +> I though that it is because the source are not in sync with my version
  +> of plan9port ?. I'm using plan9port-20060511.

  Russ> it's because you are running a binary named *.out or *.rc. once
  Russ> you install the binary as plain old rc the prompt will go back to
  Russ> normal. see $PLAN9/rcmain.

Useful reading. I found the use of $HOME/lib/rcmain. That was about time!

Thanks.
--

@ 2006-05-12 18:30 ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2006-05-12 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:06:08AM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Fri May 12 09:55:07 CDT 2006, serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca wrote:
> > For now, I put a copy on
> > ftp://quenix2.dyndns.org/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/rc-1.7.1.tar.gz for
> > the FreeBSD rc's ports. (just for the record)
> i have a permant location available
> ftp://rc.quanstro.net/pub/rc-1.7.1.tar.gz.  this will be available
> this evening.

Another copy as the upstream source Debian uses can be found through
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/shells/rc of course.
(http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rc/rc_1.7.1.orig.tar.gz or any
mirror).

* Re: [9fans] unix rc homepage disapear
@ 2006-05-12 15:42 ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2006-05-12 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

  erik> On Fri May 12 09:55:07 CDT 2006, serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca wrote:

  erik> i have a permant location available ftp://rc.quanstro.net/pub/rc-
  erik> 1.7.1.tar.gz. this will be available this evening.

  erik> i'm still willing to maintain the sucker. is this location good
  erik> enough for you?

Yes, I'll submit this link in the FreeBSD port. Thanks.

  erik> using the real rc is probablly the best solution, but byron's rc
  erik> doesn't require p9p. (and the older unix ports of rc had some
  erik> trouble.)

Does p9p rc need p9p labrairies to run or just to build ?

  erik> there is a version of rc for p9p on sources in my directory that
  erik> already does history via - -p -- --p. i have a version of rc for
  erik> plan9 that also does history via a different program (also called
  erik> - and -p). i can make that available if there is any interest.
  erik> (doubtful.) rc will rewrite your commands, redirection first in the
  erik> history file. so cavet emptor.

I think that I'm interested to get a patch/copy of your p9p rc with
history, but I don't know what do you mean when you say (my directory).
Sorry for this very basic question.

If you maintain byron's rc, there's no reason to do a fork of p9p rc, but
it could be interresting to have the patch in the FreeBSD port that could
be enable via a knob like WITH_RC-HISTORY. Just an idea... Oh and another
patch that make p9p read $home/.rcrc if using as login shell. I'm not
asking you to do it, I'm just thinking about that.
--

@ 2006-05-12 15:06 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri May 12 09:55:07 CDT 2006, serge.gagnon@b2b2c.ca wrote:
> For now, I put a copy on
> ftp://quenix2.dyndns.org/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/rc-1.7.1.tar.gz for the
> FreeBSD rc's ports. (just for the record)

i have a permant location available ftp://rc.quanstro.net/pub/rc-1.7.1.tar.gz.
this will be available this evening.

i'm still willing to maintain the sucker.  is this location good enough for you?
it needs to be defluffed and need to be more compatable with the One True rc.

using the real rc is probablly the best solution, but byron's rc doesn't require
p9p.  (and the older unix ports of rc had some trouble.)

> Yesterday, I read the p9p rc man page and try it. I think that these little
> things are missing for me to use this shell as login shell:
> - no history mechanism, like history(1) {- -p -- --p) that record commands
> in a $history file other than " "", wintext. This doesn't work in console
> mode.
> - CTRL+f doesn't work in console mode (that's probably not rc's problem but
> keyboard setting in console mode).

the insert file completion is not part of the shell, it's part of rio. (okay, 9term
on p9p.)

there is a version of rc for p9p on sources in my directory that already does
history via - -p -- --p. i have a version of rc for plan9 that also does history
via a different program (also called - and -p). i can make that available if there
is any interest. (doubtful.)  rc will rewrite your commands, redirection first
in the history file.  so cavet emptor.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] unix rc homepage disapear
       [not found] <deba7f0922ab07a5779c118a0fb62383@quanstro.net>
@ 2006-05-12 14:53 ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2006-05-12 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  erik> i put up a copy of byron's rc on sources.

For now, I put a copy on
ftp://quenix2.dyndns.org/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/rc-1.7.1.tar.gz for the
FreeBSD rc's ports. (just for the record)

  erik> the implementation of rc has some advantages over byron's copy.
  erik> byron uses arena allocation and signal-handler gymnastics to
  erik> handle interrupts. rc's virtual stack machine just pops the stack
  erik> (automatically deallocating memory) until an interactive frame
  erik> is reached. the latest maintainer of byron's rc added some fluff
  erik> (especially magic like $version) that is gratituous and confusing.

  erik> the language is different, too. byron wanted if-then-else instead of
  erik> if not. he added ``(local-split-list) {} and here strings and does
  erik> not have the "<>" redirection. (which was added to rc later.)

Yesterday, I read the p9p rc man page and try it. I think that these little
things are missing for me to use this shell as login shell:
- no history mechanism, like history(1) {- -p -- --p) that record commands
in a $history file other than " "", wintext. This doesn't work in console
mode.
- CTRL+f doesn't work in console mode (that's probably not rc's problem but
keyboard setting in console mode).

For the rest, it look great.

I think that I'll try to do a fork of just the p9p rc with byron's history.
I'm not a programmer and I'll return to school Monday and I'll be very
busy. so it could just be a vaporware.
--

@ 2006-05-12  1:18 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-12  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: serge.gagnon, 9fans

i put up a copy of byron's rc on sources. i tried to contact the author with
a propsed patch to handle utf-8 last year, but never received a reply.
i think byron's rc has become an orphan.

i put the copy i had of byron's rc on sources along with a utf-8 patch.
	/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/ ^(rc-1.7.1.tar.gz rc-1.7.1.utf-8.email)

the implementation of rc has some advantages over byron's copy.  byron uses arena
allocation and signal-handler gymnastics to handle interrupts.  rc's virtual
stack machine just pops the stack (automatically deallocating memory)
until an interactive frame is reached.  the latest maintainer of byron's rc
added some fluff (especially magic like $version) that is gratituous and
confusing.

the language is different, too.  byron wanted if-then-else instead of if not.
he added ``(local-split-list) {} and here strings and does not have the "<>" redirection.
(which was added to rc later.)

- erik

@ 2006-05-11 21:54     ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2006-05-11 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

lost.goblin@gmail.com said:
> Just use the real rc from Plan 9 from User Space ( http://plan9.us ), the
> real thing is much nicer.

> uriel

Personally, I want to convert myself to the one that I can find in
plan9port.

But, for everyone else who are using this shell and for all
rpm/ports/pkgsrc maintainers of this shell, I don't think that your answer
will help them.

--

@ 2006-05-11 21:32   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2006-05-11 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)