* [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 18:52 Aram Hăvărneanu
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2013-06-05 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I want to replace my CPU and file servers. I don't need much
performance, a new Atom is more than enough, but I'd like something
that supports at least 8GB RAM. This board seems nice:
  http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/X9/X9SBAA-F.cfm.

Where to put it though?

I want something completely silent. Think Soekris but 64 bit and
with a faster CPU. That means no PSU fan. Low power Atom boards
consume less power than laptops, I don't understand why nobody seems
to produce a design that does not use a fan for the PSU. The CPU
servers will be diskless, but for the file server I'd like something
that can fit a few drives. That means more than two. Four would be
ideal.

I am not limited to that board nor to Atom CPUs. I am curious what
other 9fans use or would like to use. Thanks.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu