* [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-17 16:55 Brad Frank
From: Brad Frank @ 2010-08-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, doing those things would be an alternative. But the bigger question is
why is fossil hitting the load like that while running in Qemu. And also,
another question is whether this would be happening on physical hardware as
well... Is there anything I can do to figure out why it is doing that, and
how to resolve it?

* Re: [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-17 18:29 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-08-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

qemu disk emulation isn't exactly speedy, and fossil probably bangs on
the disk pretty hard and from the sounds of things its treating the
disk access as synchronous (which is why everything else freezes up).
The two combined together is not something you want to deal with.
FWIW, on my system I don't see this problem, but its a 4 processor
3GHZ+ Xeon with 16GB of memory which is probably always hitting the
disk access in Linux's cache.

       -eric

@ 2010-08-18 12:37   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-08-18 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Aug 17 14:32:01 EDT 2010, ericvh@gmail.com wrote:
> qemu disk emulation isn't exactly speedy, and fossil probably bangs on
> the disk pretty hard and from the sounds of things its treating the
> disk access as synchronous (which is why everything else freezes up).
> The two combined together is not something you want to deal with.
> FWIW, on my system I don't see this problem, but its a 4 processor
> 3GHZ+ Xeon with 16GB of memory which is probably always hitting the
> disk access in Linux's cache.
>
>        -eric
>

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Brad Frank <brad.frank@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, doing those things would be an alternative. But the bigger question is
> > why is fossil hitting the load like that while running in Qemu. And also,
> > another question is whether this would be happening on physical hardware as
> > well... Is there anything I can do to figure out why it is doing that, and
> > how to resolve it?

has anyone tried aoe with qemu?  vblade running in the host
might be faster.  devaoe(3)/sdaoe(3) from 9atom allow
128 outstanding requests), which should help with latency
a bit more.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-18 15:12     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-08-18 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:37 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Brad Frank <brad.frank@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Yes, doing those things would be an alternative. But the bigger question is
>> > why is fossil hitting the load like that while running in Qemu. And also,
>> > another question is whether this would be happening on physical hardware as
>> > well... Is there anything I can do to figure out why it is doing that, and
>> > how to resolve it?
>
> has anyone tried aoe with qemu?  vblade running in the host
> might be faster.  devaoe(3)/sdaoe(3) from 9atom allow
> 128 outstanding requests), which should help with latency
> a bit more.

I haven't tried it, but I agree that it is likely faster.  An even
better solution would be use of the virtio disk or 9p drivers, but I'm
not sure they are available in vanilla qemu.  I don't recall seeing
these delays with qemu-kvm on my laptop when I was running off a
virtio disk -- same thing goes for lguest for those not running on a
KVM-able processor.

        -eric

* Re: [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-18 16:28       ` Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2010-08-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

virtio is available in vanilla qemu nowadays.

Why do you want to run your file server in qemu anyway, though?

For snapshots, I use dump9660 on my host, coupled with inferno; u9fs would
work just as well.

-- vs

* Re: [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-19  0:40         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-08-19  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> virtio is available in vanilla qemu nowadays.
>
> Why do you want to run your file server in qemu anyway, though?
>
> For snapshots, I use dump9660 on my host, coupled with inferno; u9fs would
> work just as well.

that depends on what your goals are.  if your goal is
to have a plan 9 environment and tight integration with
unix or inferno is not important, your solution sounds like a lot of
moving parts relative to a plan 9 file server in qemu,
imho.

- erik

* [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-19  2:19 Brad Frank
From: Brad Frank @ 2010-08-19  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, it is also important to note that I am getting these spikes on
qemu while the emulator is essentially idling.
There really should be no reason it should be hitting the virtual disk
like that repeatedly on intervals. Is there no
other explanation for why it would be doing that?

* Re: [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-18 15:09       ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-08-18 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:42 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> why cant fossil also use vblade?

I thought I covered that by saying you could run an AOE vblade server
(by which I meant to imply you could run any of the available file
systems over AOE or venti), but perhaps I should have been more
specific.

     -eric

* Re: [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-18 12:42     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-08-18 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-08-17 16:17   ` Eric Van Hensbergen