From: lucio@proxima.alt.za
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] /n/sources/contrib/
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:39:15 +0200	[thread overview]

> why not do this at a level below the fs.  venti is write once.  so
> after a fossil dump, the skinny on the arena offsets and the score
> of the superblock (or whatever fossil calls it) could be relayed
> to the mirror site which could pull (or be pushed) the updated
> arena(s).  recover (or whatever fossil calls it) the mirror fossil
> from the new superblock and you're done.

That makes a lot of sense.  How practical is it?  At minimum, there
would have to be a dedicated Venti to isolate "contrib" from other
sections, plus the arenas would be large: not everyone has broadband
access.

What would be beneficial, but I understand how hard it would be to
change to it, is if contributors restricted their offering to small
source files rather than large binary objects, specially compressed
ones that probably affect the Venti archive negatively as well.  But
maybe I'm missing more than I'm aware of, I'd like to hear different
takes on this.

++L