From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] CD iso image and SATA CDROM on P5Q Pro
Date: Wed,  3 Mar 2010 10:16:11 -0500	[thread overview]

> > should be harmless.  are you running maybe
> > an old kernel?
>
> No, I downloaded the live-cd image about a few days ago.
>
> I also see the messages while running fossil only like:
> sdiahci: drive 1 in state ready
> sdiahci: drive 2 won't come up; in state new after 10 resets
> sdE2: wait ready: [new] task=50 sstate=113

the first message is of course from 9load.

> This drive 2 is DVD-RAM drive as I wrote yesterday (connected to SATA 3).
> Then, I think kernel thinks the drive 2 must be HDD drive, but it's not.
> How we can teach the kernel it's DVD drive but not HDD.
> Does your recent change can do this?

the first error doesn't really have anything to do with the
type of drive.  this is at the sata negotiation level;
this is the hba's phy talking to the drive's phy.

the second error could be either
(a) a driver bug.  the sources driver may have trouble
with some bugs in the sb600 that you've got.
(b) a misbehaving drive.  if this is the case, the drive
could be unhealthy.

if you don't mind trying the 9atom kernel, it
would be worth investigating if all this is already
fixed.  if you already have a working machine, there
both 9load and the kernels are at
ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/

if the error persists, there are some tests that are
easier with the new kernels since we can send
arbitrary ata commands.

- erik