* [9fans] someone thinking about trying plan 9
@ 2000-11-08  9:23 david.bates2
From: david.bates2 @ 2000-11-08  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hiya all,

I was reading about plan 9 recently. To be frank, I'd never head of it until
a week or two ago... I suppose I was just writing to ask whether it was
worth installing at this point in time. I don't doubt that it has some
powerful ideas, but does it have any decent apps that run on it at the
moment? An example would be apps for spreadsheets, databases, and text
editing.... and of course compilers for various langauges. Also, I am a
little unclear on the role of rio. Is it the window manager? Is it an
essential part of the system or can it be replaced as with a linux window
manager?

Anyway,

See you all,

Chris.