From: Eric Van Hensbergen <airwick@mail.csh.rit.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] File Server Authentication Woes
Date: Tue,  7 May 2002 10:10:53 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 20:03, Russ Cox wrote:
> > I'm having a bit of trouble getting my newly installed file server to
> > work with my Auth server.  I've installed everything from scratch and
> > have a stand-alone auth server, a stand-alone terminal, and a file
> > server.  Everything seems to be happy-happy except when I go to mount
> > the file server from the auth-server I get an authentication error.
>
> try
>
> 	echo -n debug > /mnt/factotum/ctl
>
> on the client and repeat the mount.
> you'll get a trace of the factotum activity,
> which may contain more useful error messages.

vampira# echo -n debug > /mnt/factotum/ctl
vampira# mount -c /srv/il!9.3.61.42 /n/tor
9: start proto=p9any role=client yields phase CNeedProtos: ok
9: read 4093 in phase CNeedProtos yields phase CNeedProtos: phase: protocol phas
e error: read in state CNeedProtos
9: write 0 in phase CNeedProtos yields phase CNeedProtos: toosmall 2048
9: start proto=p9sk1 role=client dom=austin.ibm.com yields phase CHaveChal: ok
9: write 25 in phase CNeedProtos yields phase CHaveProto: ok
9: read 21 in phase CHaveProto yields phase CNeedOK: ok
9: read 4093 in phase CNeedOK yields phase CNeedOK: phase: protocol phase error:
 read in state CNeedOK
9: write 0 in phase CNeedOK yields phase CNeedOK: toosmall 3
9: write 3 in phase CNeedOK yields phase CRelay: ok
9: read 8 in phase CHaveChal yields phase CNeedTreq: ok
9: read 8 in phase CRelay yields phase CRelay: ok
9: read 4093 in phase CNeedTreq yields phase CNeedTreq: phase: protocol phase er
ror: read in state CNeedTreq
9: read 4093 in phase CRelay yields phase CRelay: phase: protocol phase error: r
ead in state CNeedTreq
9: write 0 in phase CNeedTreq yields phase CNeedTreq: toosmall 141
9: write 0 in phase CRelay yields phase CRelay: toosmall 141
9: failure bad key
9: write 141 in phase CNeedTreq yields phase CNeedTreq: failure bad key
9: write 141 in phase CRelay yields phase CRelay: failure bad key
mount: mount /n/tor: attach -- unknown user or failed authentication

Oh..and to answer Presto's suggestion:

vampira# ndb/csquery
> net!$auth!ticket
/net/il/clone 9.3.61.105!566!fasttimeout
/net/tcp/clone 9.3.61.105!567
/net/il/clone 9.3.61.105!566
(105 is the auth server)

	-eric