* [9fans] Re: [hangar18-general] Re: Questions about translating Plan 9 license
@ 2002-05-13 14:35 Pavel Mihaylov
From: Pavel Mihaylov @ 2002-05-13 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I could/would certainly be interested in starting a mailing list to
>> handle translations of Open Source material (not just Plan 9). This
>> sounds like a good way to prime the pump to me.
>
> Why not use babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) to do a sort
> of alpha version of a translation to get started, and you could post
> it, and people could be amused and then submit corrections and the
> document could

Good idea. Much better results will be achieved with
http://translation2.paralink.com as babelfish's idea of Russian is very
poor.

Regards,
Pavel

* [9fans] Re: Questions about translating Plan 9 license
@ 2002-05-11 19:25 Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-05-11 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, The Club Inferno

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Andrey S. Kukhar wrote:

> Saturday, May 11, 2002, 5:07:29 PM, Jim Choate wrote:
> > If you need some proofing I can probably help if the documents are short.
> > I'd definitely like to get a copy of the resultant when completed.
>
> > Spaciba moi drug.
>
> Do you really want help me with translating documents?

Da, ya doljoi intristyil (I think I got that transliteration close to
right ;)

I am certainly interested in other languages. I took a Russian translation
course about 20 years ago and still dabble in reading it (with the help of
a dictionary). My verbal and written skills are very poor however, lack of
practice. Russian, Spanish, German, & French I have some small(!)
experience with. One of the attractions of Plan 9 for me was the ability
to have Angliski and Russki at the same time. I do this in Windows  using
a 3rd party utility. Can't get Linux to really do it right (at least from
my view).

I have a friend who is a professional translater so I do have somebody to
go to local for some problems and such.

> What documents named ``short''?

A license agreement or something similar. A couple/few of pages. I could
proof something like that in a week or two. At my skill level and time
constraints I wouldn't be able to do anything more than a couple of pages
a week, max.

Are you familiar with Open Forge and Hangar 18?

http://open-forge.org

I could/would certainly be interested in starting a mailing list to handle
translations of Open Source material (not just Plan 9). This sounds like a
good way to prime the pump to me.

> Pozaluysta friend

Da Svidanya.

         The law is applied philosophy and a philosphical system is
         only as valid as its first principles.

                                James Patrick Kelly - "Wildlife"

     ravage@ssz.com                                         www.ssz.com
     jchoate@open-forge.org                          www.open-forge.org