* [9fans] What is the status of IPv6?
@ 2008-08-28 16:15 Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2008-08-28 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello people,

I am trying to configure IPv6 on my site, but I am no successful with Plan 9.

What I can:

- assign IPv6 link-local address (ip/ipconfig -6)
- manually assign IPv6 address to my ethernet card (ip/ipconfig ether
/net/ether0 add fd32:6e43:fb94::a)

What I can't:

- assign "::1" address to loopback
- assign IPv6 addres via ndb (ip/ipconfig -N)   // I used ipv6=...
argument in sys tuple
- ping from/to any IPv6 link-local address (ip/ipconfig -6 ; ip/ping
fe80::20c:29ff:fe14:4b0a)
- ping from/to any IPv6 non link-local address
- assign IPv6 address via Router Advertisement (ip/ipconfig -6 ;
ip/ipconfig ra6 recvra 1)

Howto/Manual:

- how to write to ndb database ipnet with  IPv4+IPv6 addresses
- how to write tuple to ndb database for machine with IPv4+IPv6 addresses
	"ip" or "ipv6" atribute?

Do I something wrong?
Or is IPv6 support in very early stage?

Antonin

* Re: [9fans] What is the status of IPv6?
@ 2008-08-28 17:58 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-08-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: antonin.vecera, 9fans

> - assign IPv6 link-local address (ip/ipconfig -6)
> - manually assign IPv6 address to my ethernet card (ip/ipconfig ether
> /net/ether0 add fd32:6e43:fb94::a)

ipconfig -N only checks ndb if there is no valid ip on the interface.
(cf. /sys/src/cmd/ip/ipconfig/main.c:^/main.  dondbconfig is set with
the -N flag.

	if(!validip(conf.laddr) && !ppp)
		if(dondbconfig)
			ndbconfig();
		else
			dodhcp = 1;
)

also, when booting, ipconfig (typically) run with no options and
checks with dhcpd.  since dhcp returns a single address,
you can't use this option to configure multiple addresses to the same
interface.  you could specify ip=$ipv6address.  i would think the
drawback to this would be that you loose your ip4 address.

you can always add additional ip addresses in /rc/bin/cpurc or
/rc/bin/termrc if you wish, but it seems a bit clunky.

one is tempted to suggest adding OP9ipaddr1 to dhcpd's
menu of plan 9 specific options.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] What is the status of IPv6?
@ 2008-08-29 15:43 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2008-08-29 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

IPv6 support is a little rusty, but was working.  I need to
reestablish an IPv6 test environment here to continually exercise the
code and figure out some remaining thorny issues.  The last time I
tried it, I could connect to remote systems via IPv6 using 6in4(8) but
not local systems, and it appeared that Neighbour Discovery (the v6
equivalent of ARP, which uses multicast) was broken.

Some of the thorny issues are:

- how best to operate in a mixed v4 and v6 world, where some hosts are
v4-only, some are v6-only and some (eventually a lot) are capable of
using both v4 and v6, preferably global (non-NAT, non-private,
non-local) addresses.  Is the ipv6 attribute of ndb actually useful,
or should we just use the ip attribute for v4 and v6?

- how to configure diskless v6-only (or almost only) machines at boot
time?  dhcp v6 seems pointless yet complex, v6 autoconfiguration might
suffice with changes to implement dynamic dns, or dhcp v4 might be
able to carry the necessary data.

- how best to evade v4-only IP infrastructure (routers, firewalls,
proxies, etc.).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone currently using v6 with Plan
9, particularly in Japan.

* Re: [9fans] What is the status of IPv6?
@ 2008-08-29 18:31   ` Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2008-08-29 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM,  <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> IPv6 support is a little rusty, but was working.  I need to
> reestablish an IPv6 test environment here to continually exercise the
> code and figure out some remaining thorny issues.  The last time I
> tried it, I could connect to remote systems via IPv6 using 6in4(8) but
> not local systems, and it appeared that Neighbour Discovery (the v6
> equivalent of ARP, which uses multicast) was broken.
>
> Some of the thorny issues are:
>
> - how best to operate in a mixed v4 and v6 world, where some hosts are
> v4-only, some are v6-only and some (eventually a lot) are capable of
> using both v4 and v6, preferably global (non-NAT, non-private,
> non-local) addresses.  Is the ipv6 attribute of ndb actually useful,
> or should we just use the ip attribute for v4 and v6?
>
> - how to configure diskless v6-only (or almost only) machines at boot
> time?  dhcp v6 seems pointless yet complex, v6 autoconfiguration might
> suffice with changes to implement dynamic dns, or dhcp v4 might be
> able to carry the necessary data.
>
> - how best to evade v4-only IP infrastructure (routers, firewalls,
> proxies, etc.).
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from anyone currently using v6 with Plan
> 9, particularly in Japan.

Thanks for your reply.
Now I am not able to send or receive any byte via v6 ip. It matches to
your message.
I have FreeBSD server with tunnel to Hexago. If will be there some
progress in ipv6 stack I will test it.

Antonin