* [9fans] vmware shared folders
@ 2016-08-27  1:48 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-27  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all.

I'm using Labs Plan9 with VMware (Workstation Player 12 version).
All works fine.

Is it possible to mount (or see in whatever else mode) a shared VMware
folder ?
Currently I send files from Plan9/VMware to a remote Win7 box using cifs.
I would like to store directly on the local box.

Could someone kindly give me some suggestions ?

Thank you in advance

adriano

* Re: [9fans] vmware shared folders
@ 2016-08-27  2:31 ` Jadon Bennett
From: Jadon Bennett @ 2016-08-27  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 03:48:25AM +0200, Adriano Verardo wrote:
> Currently I send files from Plan9/VMware to a remote Win7 box using cifs.
> I would like to store directly on the local box.

I don't know much about VMWare, but are you able to run samba or similar
on your host machine, and use cifs with that instead of the Windows box?

* Re: [9fans] vmware shared folders
@ 2016-08-27  3:40 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-27  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The 386 binaries for aux/vmwarefs and aux/isvmware, etc.  are still
available but the corresponding sources are gone. You could try those.   My
vague recollection is that Russ wrote vmwarefs (and other aux/vmware*)
using a guest API (probably VMCI?) that required an NDA, which might be why
the sources aren't there.

You could run a 9p based server like u9fs (/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs) on the
local box and import it into Plan 9 guest. If you're using drawterm to
connect to the Plan 9 guest from the host, your local filesystem on the
host is available from /mnt/term in the guest.

@ 2016-08-27  3:44   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-27  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jadon Bennett wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 03:48:25AM +0200, Adriano Verardo wrote:
>> Currently I send files from Plan9/VMware to a remote Win7 box using cifs.
>> I would like to store directly on the local box.
> I don't know much about VMWare, but are you able to run samba or similar
> on your host machine, and use cifs with that instead of the Windows box?

Now I have 2 boxes.
A is a Win7 that runs VMware. Plan9 runs in the VMware VM.
B is a Win7 I use to store Plan9 files through cifs.
My goal is to do all the job on A because sometimes I've no net to
connect to.

I tried to cifs a "normal" shared folder of A from Plan9, say as if
Plan9 were on another box.
I think it should be possible, but I'm not sure and in any case I could
not make it work.

Reading the VMware doc I see that's possible to define shared folders
"in the VM" and
on internet there are examples on how to access them from a Linux
running in the VM.

So I configured a VM shared folder X and looked in /mnt /n /srv hoping
to find a reference
to X.

@ 2016-08-27  4:01   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-27  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> The 386 binaries for aux/vmwarefs and aux/isvmware, etc.  are still
> available but the corresponding sources are gone. You could try those.
I have them but no their doc. Is it available ?

   NDA == Non Disclosure Agreement ?

> You could run a 9p based server like u9fs ......
What's its role ? Shouldn't the native Win7 file system be readable by a
cifs of the guest Plan9 ?

@ 2016-08-27  4:19     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-27  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

from what I've read, it seem like the VMWare workstation should honor the
old API's. 'aux/vmwarefs -?' might give enough info to run it.
cifs should also work. in your original post it wasn't obvious that both
machines are windows; i assumed one was a unix box with no cifs available.

when you run cifs with debug flags on, what does it say when it tries to
mount the local host?

@ 2016-08-27  4:58       ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-27  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> from what I've read, it seem like the VMWare workstation should honor
> the old API's. 'aux/vmwarefs -?' might give enough info to run it.
> cifs should also work. in your original post it wasn't obvious that
> both machines are windows; i assumed one was a unix box with no cifs
> available.
sorry, my mistake

> when you run cifs with debug flags on, what does it say when it tries
> to mount the local host?

# cifs -d boxA -s xyz -m /n/xyz boxA p9w7     (p9w7 is declared shared
in Win7 and in  VMware too)
cifsdial: host=boxA called=boxA sysname=v9Bell
... and nothing more

@ 2016-08-27  6:50         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-27  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> # cifs -d boxA -s xyz -m /n/xyz boxA p9w7     (p9w7 is declared shared
> in Win7 and in  VMware too)
> cifsdial: host=boxA called=boxA sysname=v9Bell
> ... and nothing more

are you able to ping guest-to-host and host-to-guest? is windows firewall turned on?

* Re: [9fans] vmware shared folders
@ 2016-08-27  7:15         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-08-27  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

have you done the hack to the registry described in the code manual page.

Microsoft keep moving the goalposts and my memory fades, but I use cifs to win7 daily at work. I will look at the config but I am on holiday for a week.

I also have the VMware code for plan9 from russ. he felt it is not enough time had passed to release it. VMware has changed over the years and the plan9 code needs to be updated.

Steve

@ 2016-08-27 15:09           ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-27 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> are you able to ping guest-to-host and host-to-guest? is windows firewall turned on?
ping ok in both directions, firewall off

boxA is Win7-64, the Plan9 distro in the VM (on boxA) is from Bell,
downloaded a few days ago.

I don't know if there could be a relationship, but in the boxA (Win7-64)
+ boxB (Win7-32) workgroup
I configured just now to test:
* boxA opens all boxB shared folders as usual
* boxB doesn't see no boxA shared folders.
Both machines are on my desk, same config procedure step by step.

Coud the one guilty be the Win7-64 on BoxA ?

I'll install the same VMware with the same Plan9 distro on a Win7-32 to
verify this.

@ 2016-08-28  8:16             ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-28  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> * boxB doesn't see no boxA shared folders.

i would start there.  once it's fixed, it will most likely fix the
problem on plan9 side too.

> Coud the one guilty be the Win7-64 on BoxA ?

my motto is: when in doubt, blame windows; so probably yes.

* Re: [9fans] vmware shared folders
@ 2016-08-28  8:25               ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-08-28  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

next week I will help, I wrote CICS so I should be able to sort it out.
I am on holiday at the moment so I cannot do much now but sympathise.

-Steve

@ 2016-08-28  8:56           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-08-28  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I also have the VMware code for plan9 from russ. he felt it is not enough time had passed to release it. VMware has changed over the years and the plan9 code needs to be updated.

a lot of the secret sauce code seems to be available now (LGPL license):

https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools/tree/master/open-vm-tools

* Re: [9fans] vmware shared folders
@ 2016-08-28  9:12               ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2016-08-28  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> my motto is: when in doubt, blame windows; so probably yes.

Pure truth ...

In the meantime I've installed VMware 9.0.4 on Win7-32.
All works as expected using the same Plan9.iso.
Plan 9 sees local and remote Win7-32 shared folders.
This probably confirm that the problem is Win7-64.
Or, perhaps my Win7-64 despite being an official release.

@ 2016-08-28 23:42             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2016-08-28 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Aug 28 01:58:51 PDT 2016, 9nut@9netics.com wrote:
> > I also have the VMware code for plan9 from russ. he felt it is not enough time had passed to release it. VMware has changed over the years and the plan9 code needs to be updated.
>
> a lot of the secret sauce code seems to be available now (LGPL license):
>
> https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools/tree/master/open-vm-tools

just in time for vmware to be less relevant.  :-)

- erik