* [9fans] latest iso: venti issues
@ 2007-09-26 15:21 John Soros
From: John Soros @ 2007-09-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi everyone!
I'm having a problem with the latest iso (sept. 26).
The issue is probably with venti. Here's the description:
After a fossil+venti installation, I boot up my terminal, and a venti archive snapshot is taken at once. (normal behaviour)
The unusual thing is that when it stops, the machine freezes. Though stats works fine, so I can see my cpu utilisation go down to minimal, i can't fshalt, or do anything.
Then, if I reboot my machine, the same thing happens: (probably) venti starts to archive (high CPU and hdd utilisation), then, if I let it finish, again, rio (or something) freezes, I can't fshalt, I can't run any command.

Many thanks to everyone contributing, plan9 is truly a beautiful os.

Cheers

* Re: [9fans] latest iso: venti issues
@ 2007-09-26 15:39 ` Kernel Panic
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Kernel Panic @ 2007-09-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

John Soros wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>I'm having a problem with the latest iso (sept. 26).
>The issue is probably with venti. Here's the description:
>After a fossil+venti installation, I boot up my terminal, and a venti archive snapshot is taken at once. (normal behaviour)
>The unusual thing is that when it stops, the machine freezes. Though stats works fine, so I can see my cpu utilisation go down to minimal, i can't fshalt, or do anything.
>Then, if I reboot my machine, the same thing happens: (probably) venti starts to archive (high CPU and hdd utilisation), then, if I let it finish, again, rio (or something) freezes, I can't fshalt, I can't run any command.

some people on irc reported the same problem. I can reproduce it on qemu
with a normal install.
venti hangs on "sync..." after the 2nd boot.

see:
http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/254
http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/266

but here is no solution yet. :-(

>Many thanks to everyone contributing, plan9 is truly a beautiful os.
>
>Cheers

cinap

* Re: [9fans] latest iso: venti issues
@ 2007-09-26 16:04   ` Kernel Panic
From: Kernel Panic @ 2007-09-26 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Kernel Panic wrote:

> John Soros wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!
>> I'm having a problem with the latest iso (sept. 26).
>> The issue is probably with venti. Here's the description:
>> After a fossil+venti installation, I boot up my terminal, and a venti
>> archive snapshot is taken at once. (normal behaviour)
>> The unusual thing is that when it stops, the machine freezes. Though
>> stats works fine, so I can see my cpu utilisation go down to minimal,
>> i can't fshalt, or do anything.
>> Then, if I reboot my machine, the same thing happens: (probably)
>> venti starts to archive (high CPU and hdd utilisation), then, if I
>> let it finish, again, rio (or something) freezes, I can't fshalt, I
>> can't run any command.
>>
> some people on irc reported the same problem. I can reproduce it on
> qemu with a normal install.
> venti hangs on "sync..." after the 2nd boot.
>
> see:
> http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/254
> http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/266
>
> but here is no solution yet. :-(
>
>> Many thanks to everyone contributing, plan9 is truly a beautiful os.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> cinap

sorry, the appearance of your venti problem is *not* the same as from
what i reported.
they may, but this is just speculation...

sorry if i caused confusion here...

cinap

* qemu issues (Re: [9fans] latest iso: venti issues
@ 2007-09-26 16:39   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2007-09-26 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> some people on irc reported the same problem. I can reproduce it on qemu
> with a normal install.
> venti hangs on "sync..." after the 2nd boot.
>
> see:
> http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/254
> http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/266
>
> but here is no solution yet. :-(

FWIW, I had seen the same problem earlier but everything
seemed to work fine in a qemu image built from the Sep 22
plan9.iso.bz2 (md5 = b0fb4bbd962ef73f32656b52586747b3).  The
one difference I remember from before is that this image uses
the 'qcow2' format and not 'raw'.

One issue with plan9 on qemu is that on first reboot after an
install on a brand new "disk", date reverts to an earlier
time (Jan 1 2000?) and that confuses venti it seems.  So
before I make *any* changes, I manually start the network +
dns, and restart timesync after pointing it to an ntp server.

* Re: qemu issues (Re: [9fans] latest iso: venti issues
@ 2007-09-26 16:56     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2007-09-26 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I spoke too soon.  After a pull I see the same symptom again.

> > some people on irc reported the same problem. I can reproduce it on qemu
> > with a normal install.
> > venti hangs on "sync..." after the 2nd boot.
> >
> > see:
> > http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/254
> > http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/266
> >
> > but here is no solution yet. :-(
>
> FWIW, I had seen the same problem earlier but everything
> seemed to work fine in a qemu image built from the Sep 22
> plan9.iso.bz2 (md5 = b0fb4bbd962ef73f32656b52586747b3).  The
> one difference I remember from before is that this image uses
> the 'qcow2' format and not 'raw'.
>
> One issue with plan9 on qemu is that on first reboot after an
> install on a brand new "disk", date reverts to an earlier
> time (Jan 1 2000?) and that confuses venti it seems.  So
> before I make *any* changes, I manually start the network +
> dns, and restart timesync after pointing it to an ntp server.

* [9fans] Re: latest iso: venti issues
@ 2007-09-28  8:58     ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2007-09-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hmm, yeah, i don't really think it's the same problem.
Though if I understand well, for you venti works, does the dump on
first boot and then shuts up?
(btw. my venti freeses after sync too, at third boot)
cheers
johnny

@ 2007-09-28  8:58   ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2007-09-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sep 26, 6:40 pm, bakul+pl...@bitblocks.com (Bakul Shah) wrote:
> > some people on irc reported the same problem. I can reproduce it on qemu
> > with a normal install.
> > venti hangs on "sync..." after the 2nd boot.
>
> > see:
> >http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/254
> >http://9fans.net/archive/2007/09/266
>
> > but here is no solution yet. :-(
>
> FWIW, I had seen the same problem earlier but everything
> seemed to work fine in a qemu image built from the Sep 22
> plan9.iso.bz2 (md5 = b0fb4bbd962ef73f32656b52586747b3).  The
> one difference I remember from before is that this image uses
> the 'qcow2' format and not 'raw'.
>
> One issue with plan9 on qemu is that on first reboot after an
> install on a brand new "disk", date reverts to an earlier
> time (Jan 1 2000?) and that confuses venti it seems.  So
> before I make *any* changes, I manually start the network +
> dns, and restart timesync after pointing it to an ntp server.

This is *not* on qemu.

* [9fans] Re: latest iso: venti issues
@ 2007-09-28  8:59 ` Jano
From: Jano @ 2007-09-28  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oh, and I forgot to add that I did a fresh install, but fossil only
this time, and the problem doesn't appear, so it's definitely a venti
problem, or the problem is tied to venti.

Cheers