* [9fans] gotoxy and friends..
@ 2007-01-01 12:06 bituman
From: bituman @ 2007-01-01 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi there!
is gotoxy and clearscreen and friends available somewhere in plan9?
int10h wont work i guess : )
i'd like a function to get (maybe set?) rows on screen, coloumns on
screen, gotoxy, and cleaning the screen.
And no on my laptop i cant make the gui work.. im stuck to console..

* Re: [9fans] gotoxy and friends..
@ 2007-01-01 13:39 ` Claudio Leite
From: Claudio Leite @ 2007-01-01 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* bituman (bituman@enerla.net) wrote:
> Hi there!
> is gotoxy and clearscreen and friends available somewhere in plan9?
> int10h wont work i guess : )
> i'd like a function to get (maybe set?) rows on screen, coloumns on
> screen, gotoxy, and cleaning the screen.
> And no on my laptop i cant make the gui work.. im stuck to console..

Doubtful. The Plan 9 console isn't made for general use a la DOS or
Linux. It doesn't have an interrupt key, for example, among other
things. Your best bet is to keep trying with the GUI, as that's the way
it's intended to work. Maybe somebody here can help you with that
instead.

-Claudio

* Re: [9fans] gotoxy and friends..
@ 2007-01-01 14:46   ` bituman
From: bituman @ 2007-01-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Claudio Leite wrote:
> * bituman (bituman@enerla.net) wrote:
>
>> Hi there!
>> is gotoxy and clearscreen and friends available somewhere in plan9?
>> int10h wont work i guess : )
>> i'd like a function to get (maybe set?) rows on screen, coloumns on
>> screen, gotoxy, and cleaning the screen.
>> And no on my laptop i cant make the gui work.. im stuck to console..
>>

> Doubtful. The Plan 9 console isn't made for general use a la DOS or
> Linux. It doesn't have an interrupt key, for example, among other
> things. Your best bet is to keep trying with the GUI, as that's the way
> it's intended to work. Maybe somebody here can help you with that
> instead.
>
> -Claudio

just did a:
aux/vga -pv for starters, it doesnt say  "controller not in ./vgadb",
instead it recognizes the nvidia geforce 3 card in my laptop..
in a tutorial i found i should try  aux/vga -lpv next.. now here comes
my problem : )
when booting up plan9, i either select defualt values for mouse
resolution and monitor type (ps2,640x480x8 ... ) and get a blank black
screen,
or i set some idiotic value for either monitor or resolution (like
tretretre) and in that case aux/vga -lpv will try tretretre@640x480x1,
and will fail miserably. it still recognizes the nvidia card tough.
windows simply says i have a default monitor with 1024x768x32
any help welcome : )

* Re: [9fans] gotoxy and friends..
@ 2007-01-01 16:03     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-01-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it still recognizes the nvidia card tough.
> windows simply says i have a default monitor with 1024x768x32
> any help welcome : )

try 1024x768x8 1024x768x16 and 1024x768x32

try using just the vesa driver - no acceleration but at least
you should get the gui up.

-Steve