* [9fans] Amazon EC2?
@ 2008-11-12  1:15 Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2008-11-12  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has anyone tried injecting a Plan 9 instance into the new Amazon cloud?

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Amazon EC2?
@ 2008-11-12  1:54 ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2008-11-12  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 16:15 -0900, Jack Johnson wrote:
> Has anyone tried injecting a Plan 9 instance into the new Amazon cloud?
>
> http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

Amazon prescreen the kernel that you can use there, but!
As was suggested by Richard Miller, if Plan9 can be
a target of kexec -- the sky is the limit.

Has anybody tried kexec'ing plan from under the Linux
kernel?

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Amazon EC2?
@ 2008-11-13  5:21   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2008-11-13  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Roman V. Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:
> Amazon prescreen the kernel that you can use there, but!
> As was suggested by Richard Miller, if Plan9 can be
> a target of kexec -- the sky is the limit.

I thought I read they were using Xen?  What's the relationship between
kexec and Xen?

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Amazon EC2?
@ 2008-11-13 20:07     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2008-11-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I thought I read they were using Xen?  What's the relationship between
> kexec and Xen?

Kexec is a system call which linux uses to load and execute another
kernel.  Kexec has to be work differently under xen, because it's
supported by current linux kernels.  Plan 9 would also need some
changes to be able to be loaded by kexec (under xen or otherwise);
I forget the details.