From: Jon Dugan <jdugan@x1024.net>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:27:26 -0800	[thread overview]

Excerpts from Sebastian Arvidsson Liem's message of Fri Dec 05 12:40:49 -0800 2008:
> Hi,
>
> I've got my hands on a Intel Atom D945GCLF [1] board and I'm trying
> to install Plan 9 on it. It's my first time so please be gentle. ;D
>
> I'm using the Dec 5 2008 iso and it hangs on the following:
>
> [...]
> 1014M memory: 256M kernel data, 758M user, 1383M swap
> kfs...version...time...
> qlock: 0xf018bb64: ilockdepth 1
> qlock: 0xf01a1591: ilockdepth 1
> qlock: 0xf01a1591: ilockdepth 1

I recently put together a similar system but using the 945GCLF2 motherboard
[1]. I also got similar qlock errors.  I noticed that the kernel detected the
ethernet card twice and so I decided to try disabling the ethernet interface
in the BIOS.  The system booted fine after that.  I did have to put the SATA
controller in legacy mode for it to be recognized as well.  I think once I
build a newer kernel I'll be able to use it in native mode.  I'm using the
last ISO I had lying around which is from 24 Sept 2008.

I've since popped a 3c905 card in the machine and it's on the net.  Hopefully
tonight I'll have some time to update the installation.  Once I've got that I
can try renabling the onboard ethernet interface and see if it fares better
with a newer kernel.  If not I'll post the kernel I'm using somewhere so that
Erik or whomever else can take a peek.  Barring that I suppose I can just buy
a supported GigE NIC.

I might also try putting a Linux partition on here so I can try the lguest
port, but I'd really rather run on bare hardware.

This box is shaping up to be my home cpu/file server.  It's definitely not a
monster, but I think it will be more than adequate for my needs.

Cheers,

Jon

[1]: For less than $225 shipped I got the following complete system:

     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134192
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154084
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262