* Re: [9fans] Hardware for venti/fossil/cpu server
@ 2004-09-22 15:19 jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-09-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The 2 AMD64 motherboards we have experience with are
the Tyan S2882 dual Opteron (mentioned before) and recently
an Aopen MK89-L (http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/MK89-L.htm).
We stuck it in an Antec Aria case to see if it made a decent
desktop machine. We've not investigated it fully, e.g. it has
a Realtek 8110S 1000/100/10 controller on-board and we haven't
got round to making that work (we boot it with PXE via
that controller then switch to using an Intel 82557 card in
one of the PCI slots). Realtek were unresponsive when asked
for programming details but looking at existing *nix drivers
it doesn't look hard to fix up the existing ether8139.c.

As Nigel says, this is low end and if you want 64-bit PCI, etc.
then you have to pay a lot more.

--jim

* [9fans] Hardware for venti/fossil/cpu server
@ 2004-09-22  8:22 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-09-22  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

i'll build my new venti/fossil/cpu/auth all in one plan9 server now
but I'm not sure about the supported hardware. I select a AMD64, an
ASUS A8V DEL S939 VIAKT800PRO with SATA and 4 BARRACUDAs with 120GB.
The specs of the mainboard are at
http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A8V%20Deluxe&langs=11. Im not sure
about AMD64,SATA and the on board GBit Ethernet. Ethernet isn't a
problem because I can use a simple Intel Etherexpress but ist plan9
supporting SATA and AMD64. Can somebody recommend another working
system with actual hardware?

Many thanks
Matthias