* [9fans] P9P acme New/Del bug?
@ 2007-02-11  6:00 kvchokw02
From: kvchokw02 @ 2007-02-11  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm seeing P9P acme (running in linux on a Wintel PC) crash
intermittently when executing "New xxx", and if that doesn't cause a
crash middle clicking Del in the tag of the newly created xxx window
nearly always causes a crash.  I just downloaded and installed the
latest plan9port.tgz to make sure I'm current and I still see the
problem

The couple times I saw the crash when executing New, the following
message was written to stdout or stderr:
devdraw: reading wsys msg: Connection reset by peer

In the cases where New xxx doesn't cause acme to crash, it creates a
+Errors window containing the line
can't open xxx: No such file or directory
as well as creating the window for the file xxx.
If I then try to Del the xxx window, acme crashes after writing the
following message to stdout or stderr:
acme: can't find text in filedeltext: No such file or directory
or
acme: can't find text in filedeltext: Success
Several times when it crashed Del-ing the window I got a message like:
*** glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list: 0x080e8328 ***

I haven't figured out how to debug P9P programs using either acid or gdb
(breakpoints don't seem to work), so I haven't had any luck tracking
this down.

Has anyone else noticed these problems?  Have any ideas what is going wrong?

	thanks,
        vbnut

* Re: [9fans] P9P acme New/Del bug?
@ 2007-02-11 18:44 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-02-11 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Has anyone else noticed these problems?  Have any ideas what is going wrong?

Found using libefence, and fixed.  Thanks for the detailed recipe
for making it crash.  I saw this once about six months ago,
but I couldn't reproduce it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] P9P acme New/Del bug?
@ 2007-02-13  0:30   ` kvchokw02
From: kvchokw02 @ 2007-02-13  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 13:44 -0500, Russ Cox rsc-at-swtch.com |9fans|
wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed these problems?  Have any ideas what is going wrong?
>
> Found using libefence, and fixed.  Thanks for the detailed recipe
> for making it crash.  I saw this once about six months ago,
> but I couldn't reproduce it.

Hey, that's great.  Thanks for the quick fix.