* [9fans] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2021-06-14  0:47 ori
From: ori @ 2021-06-14  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Posting here for wider distribution:

9front is fully self-hosting on git, running the
git-server for 9front on 9front. So, hg and python
are now removed from the distribution, but will be
archived here:

        git://git.9front.org/plan9front/pyhg

After a sysupdate, you'll probably want
to clean up the remaining bits of python:

        rm /$objtype/bin/python
        cd /sys/man && mk

Also, in case anyone in the 9legacy world
was using git9: look for the most recent
version in:

        /sys/src/cmd/git

or on the web at:

        http://git.9front.org/plan9front/plan9front/HEAD/sys/src/cmd/git/f.html

* Re: [9fans] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2021-06-14 17:48 ` Tony Mendoza
From: Tony Mendoza @ 2021-06-14 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quick question (or maybe not), but how are these being hosted?   Is this done on a cloud provider vm platform?   Or is this being done in a traditional DC using real hardware?

Just curious to know how this is being done because I would like to do something similar.

Cheers!

Tony

—
Tony Mendoza
clueelf@tonymendoza.us

@ 2021-06-14 17:55   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-06-14 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 12:48:35PM -0500, Tony Mendoza wrote:
> Quick question (or maybe not), but how are these being hosted?   Is this done on a cloud provider vm platform?   Or is this being done in a traditional DC using real hardware?
>
> Just curious to know how this is being done because I would like to do something similar.
>
> Cheers!

9front's stuff is hosted on a variety of platforms.  Some of it,
including the code.9front.org repo, consists of VMs that I host on
colocated hardware.  git.9front.org is elsewhere at the moment, and I'm
in the middle of deploying faster hardware to hopefully provide a
longer-term home to more of the services.  Other pieces live in
commercial VM providers like vultr, linode, ramnode, and so forth.  A
few of these providers either offer 9front as a deployment option or
allow you to upload your own iso for provisioning.

khm

* Re: [9fans] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2021-06-14 19:13   ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-06-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Tony Mendoza <clueelf@tonymendoza.us>:
> Quick question (or maybe not), but how are these being hosted?   Is this done on a cloud provider vm platform?   Or is this being done in a traditional DC using real hardware?
>
> Just curious to know how this is being done because I would like to do something similar.

Currently, it's hosted on vultr, but there are
a number of hosts that you can use.

As far as how it's actually done:

Git goes over git/serve in /rc/bin/service:

        cpu% cat /rc/bin/service/tcp9418
        #!/bin/rc
        exec git/serve -r/usr/git

the '-r' path is implicitly prepended on to
any repositories that are cloned, so eg:

        git/clone git://host.com/repo/path

clones

        /usr/git/repo/path

The authenticated protocol, hjgit, is the same
as the unauthenticated git:// protocol, but with
'tlssrv -a' wrapping the connection to handle auth
and encryption. The '-w' flag on git/serve enables
writing to the repo.

        cpu% cat /rc/bin/service/tcp17021
        #!/bin/rc
        exec tlssrv -a /bin/git/serve -wr/usr/git

Our encrypted 'gits://' extension is the same,
but with a cert, and its key in factotum:

        cpu% cat /rc/bin/service/tcp9419
        #!/bin/rc
        exec tlssrv -c/sys/lib/tls/git/git.cert /bin/git/serve -r/usr/git

That gets you a fully functional git server,
that hosts its code in /usr/git.

The website is served using tcp80 and execfs:

        cpu% cat /bin/cpurc.local
        auth/none execfs -s git.execfs /sys/lib/tcp80/gitrules

        cpu% cat /rc/bin/service/tcp80
        #!/bin/rc
        # some ns trickery to allow serving static data,
        # we can probably clean this up.
        bind /usr/web /mnt/static
        mount /srv/git.execfs /usr/web
        bind /mnt/static /usr/web/static
        rfork n
        exec /bin/tcp80

And the code for the web ui is more or less a modified
version of this code:

        http://shithub.us/ori/shithub/HEAD/files.html

There's also a more minimal proof of concept that I
did before phil9 ran with it and improved it here:

        http://shithub.us/ori/git9/HEAD/extra/gitls/f.html

It's less complete, but probably easier to read and
understand.

* Re: [9fans] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-18 18:12     ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-18 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Related question I can't seem to track down an answer to:

I have a 9front cluster which was set up back when Mercurial was used,
so that is what sysupdate is looking for.

I finally realized that I am no longer seeing updates because 9front
switched to git.

How does one go about upgrading an existing 9front install to pull
updates from git instead of hg?

When I try running the manual commands to pull from git it (logically)
complains that it is not a git repository, but I am not finding any
clear instructions on how to go about making this switch on an existing
install?

@ 2022-05-18 18:30       ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-05-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 02:12:47PM -0400, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> Related question I can't seem to track down an answer to:
>
> I have a 9front cluster which was set up back when Mercurial was used,
> so that is what sysupdate is looking for.
>
> I finally realized that I am no longer seeing updates because 9front
> switched to git.
>
> How does one go about upgrading an existing 9front install to pull
> updates from git instead of hg?

sysupdate should have seamlessly moved you to git.  what mercurial
revision is your stuff currently running?

this will be a longish debugging session so for the rest of it we should
probably move to the 9front mailing list, since 9fans at large might not
appreciate the traffic.

khm

* Re: [9fans] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-18 19:41         ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-18 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I didn't even notice until now that there was a dedicated 9front list -
I will try to subscribe to that shortly and move the conversation there.

Not sure that I understand how to determine which revision I am on -
more familiar with svn than either hg or git - if I run "hg log" within
/sys/src the first two lines say:

changeset: 8493:c8bec6f5ee1e

tag: tip

Does that answer the question, or how do I go about obtaining that?